cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amended tax return for homebuyer credit...

tag
motiv8ed2getthescoreup
Regular Contributor

Re: amended tax return for homebuyer credit...

Finally!!!!  In Atlanta

Closed on Aug 25 2009

Irs recieved papers- sept 9

Went through exams and worked with a tax advocate

Received check in the mail - May 4th just in time for my birthday.

Starting Score: 500
Current Score: TU 764 EQ 721 EX 768
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 641 of 667
hawkeye33
Regular Contributor

Received my notice in the mail on 5/7 indicating the refund. Check should be here soon. Smiley Happy

Message 642 of 667
kai_1103
New Contributor

Just sent my paperwork in last week.  My CPA offered to do it for me so maybe it helps that a CPA signs it?  Hope so!!

Anyway I'm starting the countdown... of course its a countdown with an unknown end!  I'm guessing around 2 months.  In Florida- through the Atlanta office.

I'll call after the 6 week mark as you all recommend.

Can't believe I finally closed and have the credit coming sooner or later!!! :-D 

Love this forum!  You people are great!!

Message 643 of 667
Journey
Regular Contributor

Well, seems Austin IS on the ball. Smiley Happy Mine is showing as pending for dIrect deposit tonight... Closed 3/26, rcvd by Austin IRS 4/7, pending deposit 5/14. Wow...
Message 644 of 667
Anonymous
Not applicable

I signed my contract on 4/20, closing on 5/27, will I be able to get the tax credit after I close, or will I have to wait till I fill tax's next year?
Message 645 of 667
hawkeye33
Regular Contributor

You don't have to wait until next year. You just need to review the info on the IRS website and file an amendment to your 2009 return. Congrats.

Message 646 of 667
Kimberly68
Regular Contributor

I am recently separated pending a divorce waiting to close on my home on May 26, 2010.  My estranged husband and I filed taxes together, how will this pending divorce affect my amended taxes for the homebuyer credit when I close on my new home.

Message 647 of 667
hawkeye33
Regular Contributor

That's a tough one. I would suggest that you'll probably need to talk to the IRS or a tax expert to determine the best course of action, but my thought is that it would be much less difficult to ensure that you get the full credit if you were to claim it on your 2010 return (filing as individual) and not try to amend the 2009 return that was filed jointly.

Someone at IRS or tax prep service could probably better advise on how to amend a joint return to claim a credit for just one of the individuals who filed that joint return. In any event, I certainly wouldn't  try to file any amended return prior to the finalization of your divorce. Good luck.

Message 648 of 667
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually have a question regarding the amended tax return for 2009.

What information needs to be provided on the 1040X after the explanation of changes? What boxes need to be filled in?

Message 649 of 667
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's our update:

Closed 3/17

Mailed 1040x to Atlanta on 3/23.

Called today, check will be mailed 5/28!!!

Smiley Very Happy

Message 650 of 667
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.