cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amended tax return for homebuyer credit...

tag
elizabethysmom
Established Member

amended tax return for homebuyer credit...

Okay, I'm about to send off my form 5405 and amended tax return to claim my home purchase on my 2008 taxes.  I'm looking for anyone who has filed this - do I only send in the 1040X, and 5405 or do I need to include anything else like a copy of the home note or my original 2008 taxes?  Help!
Message 1 of 667
666 REPLIES 666
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: amended tax return for homebuyer credit...

8k homebuyer tax credit is for 2009 I thought?? Are you applying for the old credit that is actually a loan that has to be repaid?

Message 2 of 667
SanDiegoEngineer
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

8k homebuyer tax credit is for 2009 I thought?? Are you applying for the old credit that is actually a loan that has to be repaid?

The 8K credit can be claimed retroactively for 2008 if the house is bought this year - it's part of the stimulus package and was written that way.

I believe the OP is correct, all they need to do is file the 1040X and the 5405, however, I'm not a CPA, so you might want to make a quick phone call to H&R Block or someone similar.

Message 3 of 667
Anonymous
Not applicable

I sent mine off as soon as the form became available. All I sent was the 1040X and the 5405. I didn't think to send my HUD statement. I just received my check last Wednesday. It took 11 weeks for me to get it.

Hope that helps.

Message 4 of 667
elizabethysmom
Established Member

Thank you noonie! I'm gonna send it off today!  Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 667
Anonymous
Not applicable

FYI

I mailed mine on 4/24 and on 5/27 I called just to verify it was received and the person told me no and that while it takes 8-12 weeks to process it should have atleast been logged in as received.  So of course I sent another copy this time by certified mail.  Yet the one that was lost and never received is being worked on.

Message 6 of 667
elizabethysmom
Established Member

Oh boy - then I'll definitely send it certified - thanks!
Message 7 of 667
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Noonie, did you send your amended return certified? I unfortunately did not send mine certified. I sent it about 9 weeks ago and called the IRS yesterday. They still have no record of receiving it. They told me to wait another week or so and call back. I do not want to send it again only to have them find my original one and have the process start all over! Any information you could provide me with would be very helpful. Thank you.

Message 8 of 667
elizabethysmom
Established Member

I would definitely wait a week or two to send another one. I just talked to a man at the IRS yesterday about our 08 tax bill and I asked him if our 1040X had been received. He said they do not log them in the system until right before they issue a check and that they are so backed up because folks are getting impatient and are sending in two or three amended returns to make sure they are received.  This is bogging their system down causing these huge delays.  He told me not to call and check on the status until 10 weeks out.  I really don't get why they aren't logging in that they are at least received but I do understand their logic about not wanting folks to send in the same paper work over and over again.  Hope that helps!  It stinks that these checks are taking so long - we're living without a substantial part of our home furnished in anticipation of that check!
Message 9 of 667
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elizabethysmom wrote:
I would definitely wait a week or two to send another one. I just talked to a man at the IRS yesterday about our 08 tax bill and I asked him if our 1040X had been received. He said they do not log them in the system until right before they issue a check and that they are so backed up because folks are getting impatient and are sending in two or three amended returns to make sure they are received.  This is bogging their system down causing these huge delays.  He told me not to call and check on the status until 10 weeks out.  I really don't get why they aren't logging in that they are at least received but I do understand their logic about not wanting folks to send in the same paper work over and over again.  Hope that helps!  It stinks that these checks are taking so long - we're living without a substantial part of our home furnished in anticipation of that check!

Maybe if they trained all their employees right and the same way they wouldn't be bogged down with multiple returns. I asked 4 different people the same question at 4 different times not days but weeks and got 4 different answers.  I was told by the irs man I spoke to to send in another copy and resign it since it should have been logged into their system by then yet your guy is telling you to wait 10 weeks before calling.  I did receive my check Monday for a total of 8 weeks between them getting it and me getting the check though the biggest pita is the constant mis information given
Message 10 of 667
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.