Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

apartment lease, hard INQ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

apartment lease, hard INQ?

i never see these pop up when i do my annual credit report or even pull my fico score from this website.  but recently i applied for an apartment and received a notice from TU stating my credit was pulled.  is that normal to get a hard INQ every year if you move apartments?  i have never received a letter.

frustrating, but luckily i applied for a car loan and a credit card app (in that order) before applying for this apartment.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Scope27
Regular Contributor

Re: apartment lease, hard INQ?

Did you sign a credit disclosure with the apt complex?  My current apt pulled my credit when I applied for housing but I had to sign a credit disclosure first.  It's usually dependant on how much you'll have to pay for a deposit.

Edit:  If you renew your lease credit usually doesnt get pulled.  It's usually an initial pull to see how much of a risk you may be to the apt complex financially.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

it's a standard texas apartment lease application.  is it normal for them to pull the INQ?

@Scope27 wrote:

Did you sign a credit disclosure with the apt complex?  My current apt pulled my credit when I applied for housing but I had to sign a credit disclosure first.  It's usually dependant on how much you'll have to pay for a deposit.

Edit:  If you renew your lease credit usually doesnt get pulled.  It's usually an initial pull to see how much of a risk you may be to the apt complex financially.

Message 3 of 6
Scope27
Regular Contributor

Did you read over the lease before signing to see if they would pull your credit?  Pulling credit is dependent on the place you're leasing with.

Message 4 of 6
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Most landlords will pull your credit to see if you have any past history of delinquency. The hard v. soft inquiry just depends on how the company pulling the credit for the lender decides to code it.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

In some cases I have asked Landlords to accept a copy of my report which I pull myself, this way there is no score hit for pulling the report.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.