Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

approved for conventional loan but....

tag
reba1
Established Member

approved for conventional loan but....

I was approved for a conventional loan....went thru the process with my realtor of price offer etc and then BOOM......the mortgage company tells me that I can't get PMI because of a BK.  Now, the BK was disclosed up front.....it is 3 years and 6 months old after dismissal.  I now have to wait 6 months??

Is the 4 year waiting period not well known by mortgage underwriters?  We went thru a week of discussions only to come down to time to offer and no approval.  Everything else is fine.....is there anything else that can be done?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: approved for conventional loan but....

Find another lender.

Message 2 of 10
reba1
Established Member

is this true though that no MI will insure my loan since my BK was dismissed 3 yrs and 6 months ago? 

Message 3 of 10
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@reba1 wrote:

is this true though that no MI will insure my loan since my BK was dismissed 3 yrs and 6 months ago? 

Yes, it is true. It is well known in the industry. Why your LO took the application for a conventional loan knowing that the loan couldn't be insured is a mystery.

However, you have some alternatives:  1) go FHA where it is government insured and the requirement is 3 yrs rather than 4 years or 2) go to a smmall regional lender that holds the loan in their own portfolio,

Was your BK discharged or dismissed?

Message 4 of 10
reba1
Established Member

the BK was dismissed.  I filed in april 2010 and it was over in August 2010.  I was wrapped up in something that was not really me but to protect my assets i had no choice.  Then I had it dismissed. It took until February 2011 to get the final order. 

The house I want is above an FHA.  I make too much for a USDA.....my annual base is $150k.  well enough to purchase a 400k home.

I don't know of any lenders that dont require the PMI.  Does anyone??

thanks!

Message 5 of 10
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

You have 3 options

1. Put 20 percent down

2. Go FHA on a cheaper house

3. Wait the 6 months

If it were me I would wait the 6 months. I was in a situation just like yours, UW said I had 6 months to wait and I was denied. So we built a second house, took 6 months to build anyways and we closed without any issues.

Message 6 of 10
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@reba1 wrote:

the BK was dismissed.  I filed in april 2010 and it was over in August 2010.  I was wrapped up in something that was not really me but to protect my assets i had no choice.  Then I had it dismissed. It took until February 2011 to get the final order. 

The house I want is above an FHA.  I make too much for a USDA.....my annual base is $150k.  well enough to purchase a 400k home.

I don't know of any lenders that dont require the PMI.  Does anyone??

thanks!

I have a lender that will do no PMI with 10% down on selected loans.

Your options open up if you wait the six months.

What is the conforming loan limit in your county? Here in my county it is $417k  - it will could a difference if you are jumbo or not.

Message 7 of 10
reba1
Established Member

it is $417k loan limit.  i think the 6 months is my best  bet here to get the best deal unless there is a lending that will do something else.

Message 8 of 10
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Perhaps the underwriter was OK with a 2-year dismissal (the waiting period if there was extenuating circumstances), but the PMI insurer didn't agree.  There are multiple PMI companies out there.  Did you ask the underwriter if they tried every one they are approved with?

I'd also ask the underwriter why they were able to approve your loan less than 4 years from the BK dismissal.

Lender approval is different from PMI approval, and PMI approval is one of the very last steps... which explains why this wasn't an issue at the beginning of the process.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 9 of 10
reba1
Established Member

From what I know, there is no pmi that they approved that will waive the 6 months left until the 4 years are up. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.