Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

behind on taxes and want to buy a home

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

behind on taxes and want to buy a home

i am behind on my federal taxes. i owe $3500 and still haven't filed for 2014. It's not a lien or on my credit report but will this disqualify me from getting a mortgage? should i pay it all off and file my 2014 before putting in a pre-qual app? 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

Re: behind on taxes and want to buy a home

You will have to file your 2014 taxes, as well as have a payment plan setup with 6-12 months of on time payments on the past owed debt before you would ever be able to close on a home. They require copies of your previous 2 years of tax returns and run 4056t for transcripts as well. This is the basics, depending on the lender there may be other overlays as well.
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 2 of 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@cartwrna wrote:
You will have to file your 2014 taxes, as well as have a payment plan setup with 6-12 months of on time payments on the past owed debt before you would ever be able to close on a home. They require copies of your previous 2 years of tax returns and run 4056t for transcripts as well. This is the basics, depending on the lender there may be other overlays as well.

^^^Exactly. Some lenders will only require 3 months of payments others do require 6 to 12 months but otherwise the information is exactly right. 

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@StartingOver10 wrote:

@cartwrna wrote:

^^^Exactly. Some lenders will only require 3 months of payments others do require 6 to 12 months but otherwise the information is exactly right. 

^^ And some overlays require it to be paid in full.  The program I want to use requires it paid in full.  They don't want to be 2nd behind a tax lien.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you all for the advice.  I put in a pre-qualification app yesterday and should've researched a little more before doing so.  Now i have a hard inquiry. thanks again.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

thank you all for the advice.  I put in a pre-qualification app yesterday and should've researched a little more before doing so.  Now i have a hard inquiry. thanks again.

At least you now know what your mortgage scores are and have time to improve the scores more.  

Message 6 of 8
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@StartingOver10 wrote:

@cartwrna wrote:

^^ And some overlays require it to be paid in full.  The program I want to use requires it paid in full.  They don't want to be 2nd behind a tax lien.

they will (used to)release a lien under $25k with a payment plan set up on auto draft.

Retired Lender
Message 7 of 8
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

With no disrespect meant for the OP, my first thought was if you have not paid your taxes and are having a difficult time doing so (aka payment plans), is this really the time to be buying a new home? I mean the cost of a home is much more than just the mortgage, you have taxes, insurance, utilities many times a HOA (fees) and upkeep in addition to the basic mortgage. If you have enough saved for the downpayment, would not that best be used to pay your back taxes?

edit = typos as per usual

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.