cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best credit card uti to maximize mortgage scores.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

best credit card uti to maximize mortgage scores.

just curious does anyone know the best uti strategy for credit cards.

i only have two cards. 

C1 Quicksilver -$800 with a $34.82 balance 

Visa card from my local bank with a $500.00 limit with a $44.00 dollar balance. 

what amounts would give me the max score. 

thanks in advance

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: best credit card uti to maximize mortgage scores.

Pay one off and always make sure only one (doesnt matter which) is reporting going forward.  Oh and the % should be 1% if I remember correctly.

Message 2 of 9
kc0039
Established Contributor

10% or less is excellent

Licensed in IL
Message 3 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@kc0039 wrote:

10% or less is excellent

FICO appears to round up on this calculation though I never tested it myself on this one, so something under 9% is ideal.

Just leave a yuppie foodstamp worth of balance on a single card ($20) that has a CL over $250 FTW.  Doesn't really matter what the number is just non-zero and one balance on a single card is optimal for everyone except maybe very very thin files (1-2 credit cards).

        
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 5 of 9
GA8080
Contributor

Piggybacking on the OPs question... first of all Revelate, can you elaborate on "except maybe very very thin files"? My husband and I each have 1 card in our own names, are AUs on each other's, and each AUs on a parents card. So we each have 3 open accounts reporting. Both parents cards have $0 balances, and the two that we individually have (AUs on each other's) have balances which we can pay off today and plan on doing so before the statement cuts. How does having a thin file effect this? Also does it matter if the 1 card with less than 9% reporting is an AU account? We are preparing to get prequalified for a mort in the next few months

Me:
Cap One: 2700 cl/ 2000 bal
Hubbys Cap One AU: 300 cl/100 bal
Parents BOA AU: 22k cl/ 0 bal

Hubby:
Cap one: 300 cl/100 bal
My cap one AU 2700 cl/ 2000 Val
Parents Kay AU: 12k cl/ 0 bal (just closed due to inactivity last month ugh)
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is meant by one and only one card with a balance? Can you show a balance on one card this month and a balance on a different card next month?

Message 7 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@GA8080 wrote:
Piggybacking on the OPs question... first of all Revelate, can you elaborate on "except maybe very very thin files"? My husband and I each have 1 card in our own names, are AUs on each other's, and each AUs on a parents card. So we each have 3 open accounts reporting. Both parents cards have $0 balances, and the two that we individually have (AUs on each other's) have balances which we can pay off today and plan on doing so before the statement cuts. How does having a thin file effect this? Also does it matter if the 1 card with less than 9% reporting is an AU account? We are preparing to get prequalified for a mort in the next few months

Me:
Cap One: 2700 cl/ 2000 bal
Hubbys Cap One AU: 300 cl/100 bal
Parents BOA AU: 22k cl/ 0 bal

Hubby:
Cap one: 300 cl/100 bal
My cap one AU 2700 cl/ 2000 Val
Parents Kay AU: 12k cl/ 0 bal (just closed due to inactivity last month ugh)

Doesn't matter for mortgage scores which card including an AU has the balance.

By extremely thin files I generally mean 2 or under cards in this case: 3 just have 1 balance other two at zero and you should be as optimal as you can get.  The problem with 2 or under cards is the way the algorithms are setup, namely half of cards reporting a balance is a negative, and no cards reporting a balance is a negative, and all cards reporting a balance is a negative... so it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario with 2 cards and it isn't really well characterized unfortunately.  Basically have to play with it in that scenario, which is annoying to say the least.

        
Message 8 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

What is meant by one and only one card with a balance? Can you show a balance on one card this month and a balance on a different card next month?

Sure, it doesn't matter which card shows the balance, you just want a small balance on a single credit card in the perfect FICO world generally.

That's optimal for everyone, some people (like me with a slew of revolvers) can have sloppier balances and not lose any points but the single small balance is a simple way to optimize revolving utilization and when we're talking short term improvements in score, that's a big part of the equation.

        
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.