Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

buying a foreclosed house

tag
revvystoke
Frequent Contributor

buying a foreclosed house

I am interested in buying a foreclosed house. We are currently renting it but we were contacted by the bank to notify that the owner has defaulted. They offered to shortsale on what the owner owes, which is around 100k on a 140k house. What are the chances of a loan approval? I have a short credit history of 2.5 years since I just got out of school. I make 53k a year and my dti is 6/18. Most I can afford for the downpayment is around 8k out of pocket but I can pull from retirement up to 20k. Will my credit portfolio look acceptable to a lender? An option for me is a Section 184 loan through HUD but the first lender I talked to was not familiar with it. Put in prequal's to a local CU and Wells Fargo but haven't heard back. 

AkAir $50k | Marriott $65k | Local CU $8k
TU: 770 / EQ: 748 / EX: 769
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
kariered
Established Member

Re: buying a foreclosed house

What are your credit scores? I would definitely check those first. It seems like a lot of it matters on the credit scores. If your scores are good/decent, (like middle score is at least a 620) then you would probably qualify for an FHA loan. I just went through this entire process. I make less than you a year and have a little saved for a downpayment. I am also buying a foreclosure, but am not renting it from the owner or anything like that.
Message 2 of 7
revvystoke
Frequent Contributor

Sorry, my TU is 732, eq is 712 and the last EX I got from a creditor was 718 I think. Reasons for the low scores on myfico are number of inquiries and age of accounts.

Message 3 of 7
mamahearts
Frequent Contributor

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Mortgage-Loans/Do-I-qualify-for-a-mortgage-Info-that-is-needed/td-p/...

This is a quick summary that gives everyone a clearer picture of what your credit profile looks like.  But your scores look good. 

myFICO starting TU 683 8/26/11
myFICO starting EQ 645 8/26/11
myFICO EQ 652 9/26
Message 4 of 7
revvystoke
Frequent Contributor

1. Credit. TU is 732, eq is 712 ex 718
  2. Income.  4474 monthly 53.7k annually
  3. Source of income.  Employed full time
  4. Monthly debt payments.  DTI is 6 / 18.......520 to auto loan, no rent and I dont carry balances anymore on my revolving accounts
  5. Employment 3 years full time since college
  6. Assets/Reserves.  I have a IRA but I don't want to risk it by including. Have 5k available out of pocket and up to 20k I can withdraw from retirement if necessary but would like to avoid that if possible.
  7. Location. Alaska HUD 184 Loan
  8. Property.  Single family house
  9. Value.  95-135K
  10. Occupancy.  Primary residence
  11. Transaction Type. First home purchase
Message 5 of 7
Booner72
Senior Contributor

GO FHA and you won't have to give up your 401K.  Or try USDA if your income qualifies.

I lived in Fairbanks for almost 3 years and I love Alaska SO MUCH!

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 6 of 7
revvystoke
Frequent Contributor

Fairbanks is a nice town, I went to school at UAF. I got a prequal back from Wells Fargo and a CU, both offered tentative rates of 3.25% $835 @ 15yrs that shouldn't change as long as my scores stay the same. I was worried that the number of inquiries on my accounts would be a negative indicator but both loan officers told me that those are considered but not weighted much. FHA rates were almost 120 more per month with the only benefit being a lower downpayment. These rates are through the HUD 184 loan program.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.