Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

changing jobs before mortgage

tag
ChistineNJ
Frequent Contributor

changing jobs before mortgage

i plan to apply for a mortgage in 2016. 10-12 months from now, my current job ive been at for a year,  in 2016 i would be there 2 years (lol). a new oppurtunity has presented itself better work conditions/benefits/more $ per hour etc. i want to resign from my current position and stay on per-diem(so in 2016 i would still be at job #1 for 2years)  and go FT with a new job. how does this look on a mortgage application? Ive been in the healthcare industry for 14years work as a nurse for 7years.  nurses do this all the time, with the current economy and work conditions there is no such thing as longevity at a job anymore, sadly. fyi i have continuous stream of employment. any advice is appreciated.

C1 Venture 15K| NFCU NAV CHECK 15K| CASH REWARDS 5K| CARE CREDIT 3K| NORDSTROMS 1K| LORD & TAYLOR 1100| WALMART 600| TargetRed 500|Rebuilders

CAP1 1650| CAP 1 1100| BARCLAYS 2500| NREWARDS 8500|
SCT: VS 1100| EXPRESS 1100| JCREW 250| *HIDDEN TL BML 650

SCORES 709, 657, 623
Pre BK scores: 569, 587, 553
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: changing jobs before mortgage

@ChistineNJ wrote:

i plan to apply for a mortgage in 2016. 10-12 months from now, my current job ive been at for a year,  in 2016 i would be there 2 years (lol). a new oppurtunity has presented itself better work conditions/benefits/more $ per hour etc. i want to resign from my current position and stay on per-diem(so in 2016 i would still be at job #1 for 2years)  and go FT with a new job. how does this look on a mortgage application? Ive been in the healthcare industry for 14years work as a nurse for 7years.  nurses do this all the time, with the current economy and work conditions there is no such thing as longevity at a job anymore, sadly. fyi i have continuous stream of employment. any advice is appreciated.

General advice would be take the money and go for it and no problem; however, as ezdriver suggests there may be issues with your particular field.

        
Message 2 of 5
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

The PRN employment arrangement that is common in the healthcare field is troublesome in mortgage underwriting. I run into this frequently as many of my buyers are PRN nurses and therapists. The key is to show consistent hours worked as a PRN employee. One of the key problematic area in PRN arrangements is income verification by the employer. Most employers will never guarantee any income leve because the employee is controlling the number of hours they work. The underwriter therefor puts more emphasis in the consistency of income earned to address the underwriting issue of "probability of continuance". Keep that in mind as you consider your moves.

Message 3 of 5
ChistineNJ
Frequent Contributor

i was planning on moving on to the better offer and keeping my current job as  scheudule perdiem proberly every other weekend 16hrs. for pocket change. just thinking ahead i prob will just use my FT employment. hope it works out. as I would only be there for a year in 2016. here is anthor scenario for ezdriver since you understand fully where im comming from hypothetically say i just make the move for the better offer, and cut out completely the PD would that matter? on a mortgage app? id give my 2weeks notice and begin the new job within the 2weeks so there is no gap in employment, its just next year i would have (2) W2, one from my current job where i have 8 maybe 9 months of income and 1 from the new job where i would only have 3 months worth of income. but then the irs transcrips and tax returns that come into play where my income would be totaled.

C1 Venture 15K| NFCU NAV CHECK 15K| CASH REWARDS 5K| CARE CREDIT 3K| NORDSTROMS 1K| LORD & TAYLOR 1100| WALMART 600| TargetRed 500|Rebuilders

CAP1 1650| CAP 1 1100| BARCLAYS 2500| NREWARDS 8500|
SCT: VS 1100| EXPRESS 1100| JCREW 250| *HIDDEN TL BML 650

SCORES 709, 657, 623
Pre BK scores: 569, 587, 553
Message 4 of 5
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@ChistineNJ wrote:

i was planning on moving on to the better offer and keeping my current job as  scheudule perdiem proberly every other weekend 16hrs. for pocket change. just thinking ahead i prob will just use my FT employment. hope it works out. as I would only be there for a year in 2016. here is anthor scenario for ezdriver since you understand fully where im comming from hypothetically say i just make the move for the better offer, and cut out completely the PD would that matter? on a mortgage app? id give my 2weeks notice and begin the new job within the 2weeks so there is no gap in employment, its just next year i would have (2) W2, one from my current job where i have 8 maybe 9 months of income and 1 from the new job where i would only have 3 months worth of income. but then the irs transcrips and tax returns that come into play where my income would be totaled.

That would be the move I'd recommend. Assuming that the new job is in the same field of work as the old job ... yes, that will work.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.