Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

checking accounts & mortgage loans

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

checking accounts & mortgage loans

I have been on my sons checking account since he left for college.  It is not my personal account and I don't use it myself.My concern is that my son has had a couple overdrafts.

My question is can an underwriter see that I am on another checking account?   I don't want the mortgage bank to think it is me with overdrafts. Should I just remove myself from the account? Do they have the ability  to know if Im associated with his account?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: checking accounts & mortgage loans

You need the last two months of all statements, for asset purposes. If the son's checking is not part of your assets, then you need to get off the account. And wait a bit before applying (I think, not a pro, maybe the pros can weigh in).

I just submitted app, via mail. Included every account I could think of. Had to add up totals of accounts for assets vs liabilities (DTI).
Signature needs updating
Message 2 of 5
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

PS, its interesting to see all these tags and labels. I only do my Fico on iPad, and labels do not exist here. Smiley Wink

Signature needs updating
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I share accounts with my two children that I did not include in my mortgage app. I didn't include it with my assets as it's money that I won't touch. Nothing ever came up.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you won't be using it to pay for the loan, there is no need to include the account.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.