Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

closing costs

tag
jbee
Regular Contributor

closing costs

Please help me understand closing costs...

If you have $5,000 in closing costs and the seller agrees to pay the entire amount.  I know the sellers' check will be $5,000 less but I also found out that it will still be included in your loan amount.  How can that be, because it seem like it's being paid twice (originally by the seller and then by you over the life of the loan).

Maybe I'm missing something..

3/1/10: TU: 615, EQ: 640, EX: ???
6/8/10 (LO pulled): TU: 704, EQ: 689, EX: 694
Goal Score by Oct. 1: TU: 750, EQ: 750, EX: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: closing costs

It won't be included in the loan amount.  Where you may have gotten that idea is if you get the seller to pay $5k in closing costs, then in theory they would've also accepted a sales price of $5k less without paying your closing costs.  So by buying the home for $5k more, your loan amount is increased by the same amount (well not exactly the same amount since there is a down payment, but it's close).

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 4
jbee
Regular Contributor

I think I kind of understand it now....  So really, it mostly benefit you to pay closing and offer less on the house, because you"ll pay less interest over the years.

Thanks Shane!

3/1/10: TU: 615, EQ: 640, EX: ???
6/8/10 (LO pulled): TU: 704, EQ: 689, EX: 694
Goal Score by Oct. 1: TU: 750, EQ: 750, EX: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Correct, welcome!

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.