Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

conventional financing problems, loan officers advice please

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

conventional financing problems, loan officers advice please

We are looking into the USDA direct loan program, but it states that you have to be not able to get conventional financing.  We found a little "farm" with 10 acres and an old farm house for $85,000. The payment would only be 400-500 on a 33 year term that they do. The interest rate with the USDA is 4.675 (according to the gal). Taxes and insurance is about $125/month. I make $50,000/year. My husbands credit is wrecked so we are relying on mine.

I called a gal locally near this place that my dad recommended for conventional financing and she told me that my credit score had to be 740 (stated they are firm on that) and I would have to have at least 5% down. plus all the other associated costs. (and a sterling credit report)......is that true?

My current median score is 673 or there abouts, but I just paid all my credit cards off. I had 1500 left on them to pay off so my utilization will be down to 0 and I've made timely payments twice a month for the last year. I'm also going to get a pretty big ding off my credit report this month. Other than that I only have a 30 day late on a student loan (and that is only because I was consolidating when I graduated college back in 2006 and they received thier pay off 5 days after payment was due and Wells Fargo is being difficult and wont take it off)

Anyway so I am confused. I don't know if we will qualify for the USDA loan or conventional financing.......

Does any body know much about the USDA loans? How long do they take to go through? How hard are they to get approved for?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
WannaHouse
Valued Contributor

Re: conventional financing problems, loan officers advice please

@Anonymous wrote:

We are looking into the USDA direct loan program, but it states that you have to be not able to get conventional financing.  We found a little "farm" with 10 acres and an old farm house for $85,000. The payment would only be 400-500 on a 33 year term that they do. The interest rate with the USDA is 4.675 (according to the gal). Taxes and insurance is about $125/month. I make $50,000/year. My husbands credit is wrecked so we are relying on mine.

I called a gal locally near this place that my dad recommended for conventional financing and she told me that my credit score had to be 740 (stated they are firm on that) and I would have to have at least 5% down. plus all the other associated costs. (and a sterling credit report)......is that true?

My current median score is 673 or there abouts, but I just paid all my credit cards off. I had 1500 left on them to pay off so my utilization will be down to 0 and I've made timely payments twice a month for the last year. I'm also going to get a pretty big ding off my credit report this month. Other than that I only have a 30 day late on a student loan (and that is only because I was consolidating when I graduated college back in 2006 and they received thier pay off 5 days after payment was due and Wells Fargo is being difficult and wont take it off)

Anyway so I am confused. I don't know if we will qualify for the USDA loan or conventional financing.......

Does any body know much about the USDA loans? How long do they take to go through? How hard are they to get approved for?

USDA direct loans are for very low income households. There is also the USDA guaranteed program that is for moderate income families. This is a great program! (We used this one) USDA programs do have limits on the amount of land you can get compared to the house. It's a percentage that I don't know right off hand, but something like the house has to be 2/3rds of the mortgage price.

The info on the conventional loan is probably correct. I believe 720 mids are the lowest accepted for conv.

If you are in a community state, then you can try to qualify by yourself. His scores will not count against you if you can qualify by yourself. Also, if you do not use his scores, you can not use his income. (correction..sorry!)

That's a few things I see right off the bat. There are other things too, but I will let others chime in as well.

Message Edited by WannaHouse on 07-10-2009 11:03 PM

Kathy

We are finally homeowners!!

Closed May 5th-30 yr fixed at 5.25%.

Message 2 of 10
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

The guideline that states you must not be able to qualify for conventional financing isn't that strictly enforced... it's more like, if you can't get conventional financing that would offer as good of terms as USDA financing would, which is hardly any.  They also don't want you to have the ability to be able to put 20% down from what I've read in various lenders USDA underwriting guidelines.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

WannaHouse said:

The info on the conventional loan is probably correct. I believe 720 mids are the lowest accepted for conv.

If you are in a community state, then you have to use your spouses scores whether you want to or not. Also, if you do not use his scores, you can not use his income. 

That's a few things I see right off the bat. There are other things too, but I will let others chime in as well.

This statement seems to contradict what has previously been reported on this board RE:  applying for a mortgage in a community property state.

As I understand it, and as it was previously discussed here, in a community property state one spouse can apply for the loan in that spouse's name only BUT the other spouse's debts will have to be included in the DTI ratio of the spouse that is applying for the loan.  Neither the scores nor the income of the second (non-applying) spouse comes into play. 

Can someone (Shane or Dallas perhaps?) clarify this point please?

Message Edited by BigTrees on 07-10-2009 09:25 AM
Message 4 of 10
WannaHouse
Valued Contributor

@WannaHouse wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

USDA direct loans are for very low income households. There is also the USDA guaranteed program that is for moderate income families. This is a great program! (We used this one) USDA programs do have limits on the amount of land you can get compared to the house. It's a percentage that I don't know right off hand, but something like the house has to be 2/3rds of the mortgage price.

If you are in a community state, then you can try to qualify by yourself. His scores will not count against you if you can qualify by yourself. Also, if you do not use his scores, you can not use his income. (correction..sorry!)

I went back and corrected it. It was a bad day and I was tired! Smiley Happy

Kathy

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

our last year combined income was only 21,000 and now I took a full time job and make 25/hr but my husband has been a displaced worker and has had NO income for 18 months. The USDA loan gal said she didn't see a problem with our income. Our debt only includes my car lease and student loan payment 0 balances on credit cards now.
Message 6 of 10
rockymtngrl
Frequent Contributor

I would check with USDA on the 10 acres. I would be very surprised if they would go for that (of course I have been surprised before!). They typically won't finance acerage, more than 2-3 acres tops. Like someone else said I can't remember the exact wordiing they use-but I would definetly look into that.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@WannaHouse wrote:

I went back and corrected it. It was a bad day and I was tired! Smiley Happy

Not a problem, I was just getting cornfused!  My husband and I are in a similar situation re:  the community property state complication and I want to be sure I have all the facts when we approach a lender.  

BigTrees

Message 8 of 10
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@rockymtngrl wrote:
I would check with USDA on the 10 acres. I would be very surprised if they would go for that (of course I have been surprised before!). They typically won't finance acerage, more than 2-3 acres tops. Like someone else said I can't remember the exact wordiing they use-but I would definetly look into that.
Typically there is no acreage limit, however, site value (that is the land only) should not exceed 30% of the total appraised value, and of course must be strongly supported by comparable sales.  Property must be residential, outbuildings dedicated to agricultural or business use are not permitted.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 9 of 10
WannaHouse
Valued Contributor

@ShanetheMortgageMan wrote:

@rockymtngrl wrote:
Typically there is no acreage limit, however, site value (that is the land only) should not exceed 30% of the total appraised value, and of course must be strongly supported by comparable sales.  Property must be residential, outbuildings dedicated to agricultural or business use are not permitted.

Thanks for clarifying that Shane!  Smiley Happy

Kathy

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.