Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

delaying closing

tag
Hopeforchange
New Contributor

delaying closing

We were to close next Friday.  The seller wants to delay until the end of the month because the spouse is in the hospital.  While I feel terrible for their situation, closing in the middle of the week, last day of the month is just not an option.  We'd have to delay it another week, the interest would change, the truck deposit gone and we'd have to pay rent.  Legally, can we ask them to pay these extra expanses?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Re: delaying closing

S10 will be able to tell you definitively, but I don't see anything wrong with you asking for concessions.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 2 of 16
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Exactly right. It becomes another negotiation.

Message 3 of 16
Hopeforchange
New Contributor

Hopefully.  These extra expenses will dip into our savings.  They've refused to pay anything outside of their 4% closing cost though.  My husband can not take off work the last day of the month.  And our landlord just informed us he's decided to put the place up for sale next month.  Agh.

Message 4 of 16
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Hopeforchange wrote:

Hopefully.  These extra expenses will dip into our savings.  They've refused to pay anything outside of their 4% closing cost though.  My husband can not take off work the last day of the month.  And our landlord just informed us he's decided to put the place up for sale next month.  Agh.

Your agent should be strong with this negotiation though so you don't have to come up with more money. After all, it is at their request to push the closing back to the busiest day of the month.  It is never a good idea to close on the last day of the month when title co's and attorneys and lenders and closing departments are slammed with work. Goose up your agent to get them to do something for you - like keep the date where it is or close later but not the last week of the month. Really any agent worth their salt knows that closing on the last day makes it much more difficult to close timely.

Message 5 of 16
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

One more tip:  did you know that title company's can send a mobile closer to the seller in the hospital? The seller can do a pre-sign and not have to worry about attending the closing at all. The funds can be wired to the seller when you have closed.  It is common today to close separately because everyone is busy.

Their real motivation is probably moving to the new place. So find out what you can about the status of their move. It's not signing the paperwork, its probably the physical move.

Message 6 of 16
Hopeforchange
New Contributor

She did tell them no yesterday.  Haven't heard anything yet.  Our agent has never had this happen before.  This is all verbal so I don't even know how long she has to decide.

Message 7 of 16
Hopeforchange
New Contributor

She refused to sign the contract online when we said yes to her counter... haha

We live two streets over.  She sold everything in the house.  When we viewed it a month ago it was only furniture.  The appraiser said it was vacant.  Not sure myself.

Message 8 of 16
Hopeforchange
New Contributor

OUR CONTRACT STATES: "THE SETTLEMENT DATE IS NOT EXTENDED BY ANY OTHER PROVISION OF THIS AGREEMENT AND MAY ONLY BE EXTENDED BY MUTUAL WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF THE PARTIES."

So as screwed up as it is, we have a right to refuse correct?

Message 9 of 16
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Hopeforchange wrote:

OUR CONTRACT STATES: "THE SETTLEMENT DATE IS NOT EXTENDED BY ANY OTHER PROVISION OF THIS AGREEMENT AND MAY ONLY BE EXTENDED BY MUTUAL WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF THE PARTIES."

So as screwed up as it is, we have a right to refuse correct?

Yes.  It has to be agreed upon by both parties and put in writing in an addendum to be effective. You have already agreed to a date. Is your lender ready? If so, putting together another closing package will be a cost passed on to you. So there are all kinds of reasons not to delay if your lender is ready.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.