Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

do I count this?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

do I count this?

I have a question about DTI regarding my student loan.  I have two student loans that are current.  One I am paying on each month and one I am paid ahead.  I paid a large sum so it shows my next payment due in 2010.   Do I count both of those in my DTI figures?

TIA!

Message Edited by love2golf on 01-01-2009 07:13 PM
Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: do I count this?

a good loan officer will approve you INCLUDING the payment. if it makes a difference, then they could argue that it can be treated the same as a deferred loan.

let the loan officer do the thinking!!

Retired Lender
Message 7 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now I'm about as much of a mortgage pro as Bugs Bunny, but I'd think you'd have to include it, since, after 2010, it WILL be a debt you'll still be making payments on.

Hopefully, someone more qualified than me will chime in ....

How badly will that extra payment hurt your DtI? Here's hoping that it won't at ALL and you're just being careful!!!
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Wonderin!!!  And Happy New Year to you!!!

I thought the same thing but I have seen in other post that some things that were deferred didn' t count.  Which doesn't make much sense to me because just as you pointed out it will still be there in 2010.

Thankfully it really doesn't change things much.  Only by 2% 42% to 44% worst case scenario.   I am just thinking of every possible thing that could slow things down.  Although I don't think the SL will.  I will probably drive myself crazy before this is over.  Which I am sure you understand.   Smiley Happy

Good luck on you mortgage and keep us posted!

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

LOL, Happy New Year to you, too!! MIL just left, so I forgot it was one of those days you celebrate! Smiley Wink

Actually, you know, that makes sense to me -- that thing about SLs being deferred not counting. Goes to show you that I'm really no pro! I guess if I was, half the questions posted here wouldn't be mine, huh?! Smiley Wink

Best of the best of the best of luck to you!!!

*shakes finger at Love2Golf*
I better be reading a thread from you talking about closing on your home, here soon!! Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wonderin wrote:
LOL, Happy New Year to you, too!! MIL just left, so I forgot it was one of those days you celebrate! Smiley Wink

I don't know THAT sounds like something to celebrate to meSmiley Wink

*shakes finger at Love2Golf*
I better be reading a thread from you talking about closing on your home, here soon!! Smiley Happy

I suuureee hope so!  Thanks!

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks Wonderin!!!  And Happy New Year to you!!!

I thought the same thing but I have seen in other post that some things that were deferred didn' t count.  Which doesn't make much sense to me because just as you pointed out it will still be there in 2010.

Thankfully it really doesn't change things much.  Only by 2% 42% to 44% worst case scenario.   I am just thinking of every possible thing that could slow things down.  Although I don't think the SL will.  I will probably drive myself crazy before this is over.  Which I am sure you understand.   Smiley Happy

Good luck on you mortgage and keep us posted!

I'm not a expert either but I would say that since your payments are due now and that you paid a good sum to push your next payment due not till 2010 that it's still not considered defered as if someone else who takes student loans out and is scheduled to graduate in 2013 and the first payment is due 2014
Message 6 of 8
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

a good loan officer will approve you INCLUDING the payment. if it makes a difference, then they could argue that it can be treated the same as a deferred loan.

let the loan officer do the thinking!!

Retired Lender
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks Dallas!   I need to just shut my brain down for a while.  LOL! 

Happy New Year!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.