Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

downpayment questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

downpayment questions

Hi guys! I'm super new to learning about mortages so please be easy!  It seems after reading the boards that you have to ?  disclose your downpayment funds source.  Why is that? 

My hubby and I are saving our own money as well as refund money left over from our school (Stafford) loans to go towards our downpayment.  Is this frowned apon by the lender?

Thanks so much

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: downpayment questions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi guys! I'm super new to learning about mortages so please be easy!  It seems after reading the boards that you have to ?  disclose your downpayment funds source.  Why is that? 

My hubby and I are saving our own money as well as refund money left over from our school (Stafford) loans to go towards our downpayment.  Is this frowned apon by the lender?

Thanks so much

They want to make sure your not taking cash advances on your credit cards, borrowing the money from family and/or friends or taking out a personal loan for your down payment.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your money being saved, with a two-month history on that account, will not be frowned upon by any lender.  As a smart saver, we all sort of earmark refunds, extra checks, etc. for budgets.  That's totally fine.

Underwriters just look for stuff that doesn't make sense...people who normally have a $5k checking balance and suddenly balloon to $15k.  It's that $10k that is in question.   Gifts are allowed on many loan programs, they just need to be disclosed with a gift letter.  Basically, just tell the lender what is happening and they rarely frown. 

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much for the help!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.