Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ex husband may file bankruptcy and is still on mortgage loan

tag
apple25
New Visitor

ex husband may file bankruptcy and is still on mortgage loan

help please if anybody knows......when i got a divorce 4 years ago, my ex husband signed a quit claim deed to the house and I immediately went to the county and filed it which took his name off the property, but i did not re-finance and his name is still on the loan.  I gave him a cash settlement at the time of our divorce and he has no financial interest in the house whatsoever.  He tells me now that he may have to file bankruptcy.  Will this have any effect on my mortgage loan?  I have approx 4 years left on the house to pay it off completely. 
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: ex husband may file bankruptcy and is still on mortgage loan

you probably need to ask a lawyer.  BK rules vary by state I believe.

Also, contact your lender and see what can be done.

Worse case, do a refi.  Eating the refi fees will be better than getting hit with any BK fallout.

Last, maybe the bank could do a personal loan or HELOC or something whatever has the lowest fees and reasonable interest rate to pay off the original mortgage so it does not matter.

Of course, make sure you check with a lawyer first because you may not have to do anything.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.