cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

finance closing costs or pay out of pocket?

tag
wawa84

finance closing costs or pay out of pocket?

I'm closing on my house on Tuesday (woohoo!).  The sellers are paying $3,000 of my closing costs and prepaids.  There is somehere between $500-700 (can't remember exactly) left that I need to pay.  I have the option to finance the rest or pay out of pocket.  I know that in the long run it will be cheaper to pay out of pocket because I won't be paying interest on it, but it would be nice to have that money to put into the property now.  For example, the property is 75% fenced.  I would like to finish fencing the back yard so that I can safely let my children out to play without constant supervision.  I'd like to be able to let them play outside while I cook dinner, do laundry, etc.  Do you think it would be a better decision to pay the rest of the closing costs up front or finance and use that money towards the house? 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: finance closing costs or pay out of pocket?

@wawa84 wrote:

I'm closing on my house on Tuesday (woohoo!).  The sellers are paying $3,000 of my closing costs and prepaids.  There is somehere between $500-700 (can't remember exactly) left that I need to pay.  I have the option to finance the rest or pay out of pocket.  I know that in the long run it will be cheaper to pay out of pocket because I won't be paying interest on it, but it would be nice to have that money to put into the property now.  For example, the property is 75% fenced.  I would like to finish fencing the back yard so that I can safely let my children out to play without constant supervision.  I'd like to be able to let them play outside while I cook dinner, do laundry, etc.  Do you think it would be a better decision to pay the rest of the closing costs up front or finance and use that money towards the house? 

finance it..... cheap money..... imo

you can always pay more towards your mortgage down the road(tax returns/Christmas bonus) to get back on track

heck, even an extra $50 per month for the next yr will accomplish the same

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 3
wawa84

Re: finance closing costs or pay out of pocket?

finance it..... cheap money..... imo

you can always pay more towards your mortgage down the road(tax returns/Christmas bonus) to get back on track

heck, even an extra $50 per month for the next yr will accomplish the same

That was kind of my thoughts.  I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.