Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

first time buyer - question about closing costs

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

first time buyer - question about closing costs

Is it ok to ask seller to pay all closing costs? House has two other offers... too risky??
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: first time buyer - question about closing costs

If you are asking the seller to pay closing costs, you may want to consider offering a price that is on the higher end of what you wanted to offer.  You can also ask your agent to find out from the listing agent if they can share any details on those offers (they can't give specifics, but I've found listing agents will often drop "hints" on how strong other offers are).  Hopefully the seller will counter you and the other 2 offers with the same offer, so you'd all have the chance to respond to a counter proposal.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Is it ok to ask seller to pay all closing costs? House has two other offers... too risky??

Knowing I wanted the seller to pay 3500 towards closing costs, I offered a little bit more than I would have if I were paying them. They took the offer without a counter.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok. Good info. Listing agent did mention that both offers were low ball offer...
Message 4 of 7
wagsk1
Regular Contributor

The house we are in contract on we offered 370k with seller giving 8k towards closing on a 379k asking price down from 399k. Went back and forth and agreed on 373k still with the 8k at closing. I held firm on the 8k towards closing and only negotiated on the sell price.Seller is only paying commision on  365k.

Message 5 of 7
skigirl916
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Knowing I wanted the seller to pay 3500 towards closing costs, I offered a little bit more than I would have if I were paying them. They took the offer without a counter.

There were 15 other offers on my house. I offered a little over asking, plus adding on the amount of the closing costs I'd need them to cover. They too took the offer without a counter.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@skigirl916 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

There were 15 other offers on my house. I offered a little over asking, plus adding on the amount of the closing costs I'd need them to cover. They too took the offer without a counter.

Congrats...

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.