cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

first time homebuyer w homeowner spouse..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

first time homebuyer w homeowner spouse..

I am married and own a home in my name only, we want to move but my credit is a mess since layoff last year, would my husband qualify as first time homebuyer if the mortgage would be in his name only? thanks in advance for any/all replies.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
203bravo
Established Contributor

Re: first time homebuyer w homeowner spouse..

by definition a 1st time homeowner is anyone who hasn't owned real estate for a period of 3 years or longer.  meaning a name not on a deed.

But if your DH can qualify on his own then it doesn't matter if he's a first time homeowner or not.. it's not easier for 1st timers to qualify.. The only helpful thing would be if there would be a program in your state to assist 1st timers.. then you would need to check those guidelines if he would qualify with or without you being eligible for the program as well since you are married.

edited to add: this may be different IF you live in a community property state and the house was purchased after the marriage began

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.