Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help for my daughter who wants to buy a house

tag
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

help for my daughter who wants to buy a house

My daughter is looking at a fabulous home that will qualify for as a USDA property. She has a question. I know you are not supposed to app for new credit but if she refinances her car for a lower interest rate lowering her car payment is that ok or a big fat no as well?
Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: help for my daughter who wants to buy a house

The two main issues with new credit during the mortgage are:

DTI questions (will not matter if car payment will be lower)

Short term FICO drop (may matter if her FICO is close to any cutoff (within 30 points)

So, say she is going FHA and had a 630 FICO I would say no becasue the new loan might actually drop her score for a few months casuing problems even thought the new car loan makes the DTI better.  But, if she has say a 670, the new loan in very unlikely to drop here score 50 points and it should not be an issue unless there are other FICO issues or concerns. 

Message 5 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
GFer
Valued Contributor

Is there a reason she can't do the refi after the home sale?

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 10
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

she could wait, she was going to refi the car to make her payments substantially lower. Her fico's have raised quite a bit since she bought the car last summer (used car). I wasn't 100% sure if doing a refi on the car would be looked upon as new credit. I didn't want her to do anything until I asked the experts here. Smiley Wink.

Message 3 of 10
GFer
Valued Contributor

Couldn't hurt to ask a couple of different lenders their perspective on this. I actually opened a Macys card during the process of one of my contracts. LO said, that's okay, just don't open anymore! However I did get additional inquiries for having to open a checking account that wasn't with an 'online banking institution' just so I could have access to funds to get certified cashiers check for ernest $$ deposits!

He never said a word about it. (Maybe because this wasn't credit, though?)

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Short term FICO drop (may matter if her FICO is close to any cutoff (within 30 points)

So, say she is going FHA and had a 630 FICO I would say no becasue the new loan might actually drop her score for a few months casuing problems even thought the new car loan makes the DTI better.  But, if she has say a 670, the new loan in very unlikely to drop here score 50 points and it should not be an issue unless there are other FICO issues or concerns. 

Message 5 of 10
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

this is the CORRECT answer!!
Kudos to The Mickster 

Retired Lender
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

lets say if it drop 30 points how long will we gain it back?

Thanks,

Message 7 of 10
rockymtngrl
Frequent Contributor

After opening a new account it typically will take about 6 month for your scores to rebound.
Message 8 of 10
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you she's very close to 700's on all cra (she was last month anyways)  The refi of the car isn't a deal breaker for her to be able to afford the home. She would just like to lower her payments on the car, it really would be a substantial savings to her.  I just didn't want her to screw up getting a home when she could wait if necessary.

There are no negs in her profile she is 22 so not a long history.

Message Edited by MsKiwi on 03-12-2009 12:41 PM
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there any way she could do the car loan at the same time that she was closing the house? If she could time it right, she might be able to get the car refinanced using scores that haven't yet been dinged by the new home purchase.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.