Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help with loe

tag
dabolts_619
Regular Contributor

help with loe

Underwriter wants loe on a couple late car payments from 2 years ago the loan was in my name but car was my sisters should I say that? Will they think i'm full of it? Anybody have similar experience?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: help with loe

@dabolts_619 wrote:
Underwriter wants loe on a couple late car payments from 2 years ago the loan was in my name but car was my sisters should I say that? Will they think i'm full of it? Anybody have similar experience?

They hear all stories it will not matter was your sisters, you will still have to give explanation as to why it was late since it is on your credit profile. Saying was your sisters car would more then likely not get an approval. Just be honest to the best of your ability and say you overlooked the payment or something in that nature.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 2 of 7
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

@dabolts_619 wrote:

Was your sister on the loan as well, or just you?

Message 3 of 7
dabolts_619
Regular Contributor

It was just me
Message 4 of 7
dabolts_619
Regular Contributor

But I didn't over look it it was my sister payment she had just got her car repo and I was trying to help
Message 5 of 7
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

@dabolts_619 wrote:
It was just me

So here's the problems as I see them.

First, since you're the only one on the car loan, then you are solely responsible for making sure that payments are made on time.  It would hard to blame the late payments on someone that has no contractual obligation to pay the loan.

Second, depending on the laws in your state, this auto transaction may have been illegal.  To finance a car that is going to be used by another person is called a straw deal, and it is my understanding that in many states this sort of transaction is specifically prohibited.  If you make the claim that it's your sister's car and that you're not responsible for its payments, insurance, and upkeep, then you would be admitting to the underwriter that you knowingly entered into a straw transaction.  I don't know if that would necessarily be a bad thing for your mortgage approval, but I would think that it could be a red flag.

Message 6 of 7
dabolts_619
Regular Contributor

Wow thanks for the help. But I think i'm more confused on what to do now. I don't want to lie but it looks like my best option
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.