Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

home warranty question

tag
Homebuyer24
Valued Member

home warranty question

I know this is not a loan question but I am hoping someone may know.  The short sale that I am in contract with is only four years old but there are things wrong--the dishwasher is broken, stove has a problem and one of the toilets is broken (kids may have thrown rocks down it)--my agent tells me some of the things will be covered by the home warranty but if the sellers disclosed this--wouldn't that mean it would be excluded from the home warranty? 

Because this is a short, I don't think the purchase price can be negotiated--nor do I think the homeowners will help pay for any repairs.   

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: home warranty question

Generally, home warranties do not cover pre-existing conditions. But there are some companies that have special plans covering those conditions. You may want to pay extra premium and get those plans. Make sure you talk to them about it. If they don't cover anything, you can always cancel the warranty within 30 days I think. You can use the linke below to compare and choose plans in your area.

Home warranties directory

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Forgot to mention, I think AHS warranty calls this as flex plan.
Message 3 of 6
Homebuyer24
Valued Member

Thanks for the reply.  I will check it out.  But it may not matter because the short sale is in jeopardy now.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do yourself a HUGE favor and avoid AHS!  I signed up for their service end of December, 2009.  I changed my mind and cancelled same day, two hours later.  I then received some account materials in mid January, 2010, called them and they verified cancellation.  I receive more materials in mid February, called them and they verified cancellation.  Now it's March 1, 2010 and I have an amount due from them as part of my mortgage payment (optional product).  I then complained to my mortgage company, we had a conference call and after being on hold for 20 minutes and transferred twice, they verified cancellation and told us they would send out a cancellation letter to both of us.  That was two weeks ago and no letter received by either of us.  I've filed complaint with the BBB and if this continues, will file a complaint with attorney general.  Check all the complaints about AHS on the web.  

It's like the Hotel California, you can try to check out any time you'd like, but you can never actually leave.   

Message Edited by SuzieQuzie on 03-11-2010 04:50 PM
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Check all the complaints about AHS on the web.  

It's like the Hotel California, you can try to check out any time you'd like, but you can never actually leave.   

Message Edited by SuzieQuzie on 03-11-2010 04:50 PM

Wow, I did some Googling and that was very interesting.  I've had very good service so far from AHS and the plumber (2x) and the heating/cooling guy they sent.  Fortunately I'm not the one paying the bill.  The seller threw it in and it's been useful on an older home that was vacant for awhile.  Glad to know this before being hit up for renewal.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.