cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do lenders view student loans before graduating?

tag
alyssamarie
Regular Contributor

how do lenders view student loans before graduating?

How do mortgage lenders view student loan debt prior to graduation? My husband has about $40k in student loans but he doesn't graduate until December and he already has an informal job offer from the company that he has his internship with. However, we recently found a house that's really affordable that we have considered trying to buy now instead of continuing to rent. Based on his current monthly income, it falls below the 31% dti threshold, but not if any future student loan payments will be considered. Obviously by the time he will start making payments on them, his income will be much higher so it won't be an issue then either but I'm not sure if that will matter now from a lender's point of view. 

Also, we plan on buying the house in just his name which is why I didn't include any of my info. Any insight would be really appreciated! Smiley Happy

More info added in post below!

Discover It $1k | Chase Freedom $1.2k | Barclay Apple $1.7k | Target $1k |TJX Rewards $1k | Walmart $900 | Macy's $800 | American Eagle $750 | VS $750 | LOFT $500 | Express $350 | Cap1 Sec. $200 |

AU: Amex BCP $5k | Barclaycard Arrival $3k | Amazon Visa $2k | Chase Freedom $2k | Discover It $1.5k

Gardening as of 02/04/14
Current TU FICO 701 | Goal 1: 700✓ met on 2/18/14 | Goal 2: 720

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.