cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how does one qualify for First Time Home Buyer Program ?

tag
ScoreOrBeScored
Valued Contributor

how does one qualify for First Time Home Buyer Program ?

im not at all mortgage educated but i have a question about being qualified for a first time buyer program.

i got my first mortgage back in 1998. i sold my home in 2002. it feel off my reports last month.

i got another mortgage in 2007 and in 2008 i did a short sale on it. the mortgage never showed up on my reports ever.

currently there are NO mortgages on my credit reports at all. is there anyway a lender could ever be able to tell ive had a mortgage at some time or another ?

would i qualify for a first time buyer program ? or do i just tell them straight out i've had a mortgage before and let them decide wether i quailfy based off what they

see on my reports.

Reports are good with the exception of 2 thirty day lates on a auto loan. due to fall off Feb 2016 and Aug 2016.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: how does one qualify for First Time Home Buyer Program ?

You are considered a first time homebuyer if you have not owned a property for 3 years or more. The date that makes you eligible is the sale date of your last home plus 3 years. So yes, since your short sale was more than 3 years ago you qualify for the first time homebuyer program from that POV. There are other qualifications for each program. Look up the program you plan to use to see what those qualifications entail.
Message 2 of 3
ScoreOrBeScored
Valued Contributor

Re: how does one qualify for First Time Home Buyer Program ?

oh sounds great, thank you so much for your input...... i plan on going new construction and will look out for offers and stuff.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.