Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how will credit score impact my loan application

tag
zzzjie
New Visitor

how will credit score impact my loan application

I applied for loan application on July 16 2013 and the lender pulled my credit score that day, it was 763. On July 17 2013, i accidentally clicked on one email from CITI bank, and I was surprised to know that I have outstanding balance for $600, and was late for 63 days. I paid it off online right away. (It is one single purchase on May 15: my kid summer camp for $600).

I called CITI and was told I was put on paperless since April 2013. I do not know when and how I was enrolled in paperless. I have no clue at all. I do not use CITI card often and it did not alarm me that I did not get statement since many times my balance was zero. Also I am single mother with two young children and a demanding job. I receive many junk mail from credit companies and they go to junk mail directly. CITI cancelled my paperless enrollment on July 18 when I called them. However I did not receive any email confirming I am off paperless now.

The due date was June 13 and July 13. CITI removed my second late fee. However they refused to remove the late payment history. My credit score got hit quite bit (from 763 to 714). They told me that it is my responsibility to pay the bill online regardless of paper statement. However after 8 years receiving statement in mail, it has become my habit to rely on paying bill with paper statement. I have filed dispute with three credit bureau. But I have no hope that CITI will remove this bad history. Should I ask attorney to send CITI a letter to legal department? Will lender check my credit score again before closing? My target date for closing is end of August. I am very worried about the loan application.

I do not have any debit. No serious bed credit history before.I have plenty of cash and stock investment, and 401k (total is DOUBLE the house value I am purchase). Lender should get all my financial info and know that I have no problem repaying the loan.

Thank you,

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Re: how will credit score impact my loan application

In most cases the lender will not repull a credit report unless the length of the process from application to close exceeds their guideline for the age of the information. For most lenders it is at least 60 days and sometimes 90 days before they are concerned about the information. So your lender may not pull at all especially if you close in late August or early September. If they do pull your credit then you are still way over the required score for most loans and competitive rates at a 714. They will need a Letter of Explanation (LOE) for the late payment (only one is post 30 days late) and it may add a few days to underwriting time but I don't think you have anything to worry about with your loan approval. People are still getting mortgages with much larger blemishes than that.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.