Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is this a good rate?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

is this a good rate?

I'm on the process of purchasing a house. The price is $154,000 with 10% down. They offered me 7.125% rate and waive the escrow for me. This is for 30 years fixed conventional. is that a good rate ?
My scores back in July are 676, 624, and 646. I just checked my score again through score watch, and I got 731 with EFX. I just made some credit card payment, and called Citibank to update my CL on my report. I plan to ask the lender to pull my credit report again, but I'm not sure if I should pull it now and lock the rate or wait till at the end of the month. The closing date is sept, 10. any advices for me?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: is this a good rate?

typ0810 wrote:
I'm on the process of purchasing a house. The price is $154,000 with 10% down. They offered me 7.125% rate and waive the escrow for me. This is for 30 years fixed conventional. is that a good rate ?
My scores back in July are 676, 624, and 646. I just checked my score again through score watch, and I got 731 with EFX. I just made some credit card payment, and called Citibank to update my CL on my report. I plan to ask the lender to pull my credit report again, but I'm not sure if I should pull it now and lock the rate or wait till at the end of the month. The closing date is sept, 10. any advices for me?

did they offer you fha? is the lender able to do fha loans?
is there pmi added to payment?

646 mid score and 90% financing should go fha in most cases.

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

DallasLoanGuy, Thanks for your reply
yes, they did offer me 6.875% with fha, and there will PMI add to it each month. I considerated the conventional b/c I know that I can cancel the PMI whenever the home equity reaches 20% , and this can done by pay up to 20% or have an house appraisal done. with fha I have to refinance to cancel PMI, right? Plus I heard there're lots more of paper works add to it. Smiley Sad
Message 3 of 8
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

typ0810 wrote:
yes, they did offer me 6.875% with fha, and there will PMI add to it each month. I considerated the conventional b/c I know that I can cancel the PMI whenever the home equity reaches 20% , and this can done by pay up to 20% or have an house appraisal done. with fha I have to refinance to cancel PMI, right? Plus I heard there're lots more of paper works add to it. Smiley Sad

no, pmi goes away on fha too. when you get to 78%

also, pmi is less on fha.

6.875% huh? with or without origination fee / discount fees?
what are the total fees in the 800s section of the gfe?

no, fha loans are as easy as conv. if th property is ok.

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 8
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

Easier these days
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

DallasLoanGuy wrote:

typ0810 wrote:

WAIT, I thought it was a manditory 5 years for FHA that you pay PMI?? I asked on here probably 2 weeks ago and that was what i got. Confused?!?!
Message 6 of 8
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

melissacmm wrote:

DallasLoanGuy wrote:

typ0810 wrote:

WAIT, I thought it was a manditory 5 years for FHA that you pay PMI?? I asked on here probably 2 weeks ago and that was what i got. Confused?!?!

yes, sorry. there is. most people wont get to 78% that soon.
if you intend on paying down that fast, then conv is a real consideration.

Retired Lender
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

DallasLoanGuy wrote:

melissacmm wrote:

DallasLoanGuy wrote:

typ0810 wrote:

yes, sorry. there is. most people wont get to 78% that soon.
if you intend on paying down that fast, then conv is a real consideration.

Yes, either I'll pay down as fast as I can or have house appraisal done to increase the equity, so that I don't have to pay extra money every month.
so is 7.125% ok to go with?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.