cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lender doesn't care about money trail...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

lender doesn't care about money trail...

i talked to a few lenders that said I need a paper trail of where the money comes from. I got pre aproved for a USDA loan, my parents are gifting me $1000 and the lender said I could deposit the money as cash..I'm confused..is this right? Do the lenders determine if you need a paper trail? Why would he tell me it doesn't matter? I don't want problems down the line if we find a house and no money trail...

Also, they are not on the appoved lenders list on the USDA website, should I not go with them and find someone else? I've talked to numerous companies but nobody ever calls me back. Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
MoreRewards
Established Contributor

Re: lender doesn't care about money trail...

I'd make sure since they are not on the approved lenders list.

I'm not an expert but I've been told by different banks they do need to know where the money comes from. Though you can be gifted money you need to provide an explanation of where they money cane from. It's due to money laundering is what I was told.
EQ 773 * EX 786 * TU 797
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently closed on my USDA loan. The money trail or lack thereof was almost it's undoing.
Message 3 of 9
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Agree with pp...I would find another lender that is familar with USDA loans. This one clearly isn't

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

USDA does require a "paper trail" in the form of an RD 3550-2 form. Your parents will fill out this form to document the $1000 gift and verify that it does not have to be repaid.

As far as your lender not being an approved USDA lender, I'd contact your state's USDA agency representative about that. The list is here:

http://eligibility.sc.egov.usda.gov/eligibility/welcomeAction.do?pageAction=GetRHContact&NavKey=cont...

Message 5 of 9
wendlan
Regular Contributor

What is said at the preapproval stage can suddenly change in underwriting. .don't put a cash deposit..use a check than can be tracked back to a bank account. .and make sure the giver will sign a gift letter and show their bank acct to the underwriter
Message 6 of 9
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@wendlan wrote:
What is said at the preapproval stage can suddenly change in underwriting. .don't put a cash deposit..use a check than can be tracked back to a bank account. .and make sure the giver will sign a gift letter and show their bank acct to the underwriter

Any LO that would mislead a borrower in the beginning is not worth doing business with...it will create issues during your mortgage process.  The LO can't change the lenders u/w process. He can persuade in some cases to have an exception made, but not something that is contrary to guidelines.

Go with the LO that tells you the real deal rather than the feel good answer in the beginning (like wendlan so eloquently put it above).

Message 7 of 9
compassion101
Established Contributor

Will he still need a paper trail if he gets the money now but doesn't apply for a mortgage for a few months? It kinda sounds like that is his plan. Either way I would echo the comments about perhaps looking into other lenders

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

We bought our house from a friend with a 3 year lease option deal and (eventually) a USDA loan. We gave 15k down payment at the beginning of the three years. We shortly after removing the down payment money from the bank, closed the account at that bank and at some point, the bank changed hands. Although we had a letter showing where the money came from (annuity) and the documents showing the money going into the sellers account, we couldn't provide any documents showing the money going through our bank (because the acct was closed and bank changed ownership). We couldn't use that money as a down payment .. No money trail.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.