Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lower interest rate or no down payment

tag
Agent86
New Contributor

lower interest rate or no down payment

I've got two fairly attractive options on the table for financing the purchase of a house, and I can't quite figure out how to determine which is ultimately a better deal financially. Purchase price is approximately $200k. I have about $11k in my checking account. Seller will pay $5k in closing costs (which is for all intents and purposes, all the closing costs). I'm going to do a 30 year mortgage.

I could do a conventional Fannie-Mae-backed loan with a leading private mortgage company, with 5% down, a nominal interest rate of 3.75%, and APR of about 4.1%, with PMI of about $100/month.

Or I could do a loan with a local credit union, with 0% down, a nominal interest rate of 4.25%, an APR of about 4.6%, with PMI of about $115/month.

PMI in both cases would be cancellable as soon as LTV>80%. The credit union also offers an option with lender-paid PMI with an APR of about 4.8 for the life of the loan, but I don't want that, because I want to eventually cancel the PMI. There's also a 3% down option for first-time buyers with no PMI that I could use if I applied jointly with my wife, but for some unknown reason, it has an APR over 5%, which significantly higher interest than the 0% option, so I don't know why anyone would ever choose it (and by the way, you can't do the 0% option and actually put 3% down; you have to actually put no money down; it's all quite peculiar to me).

Obviously, I would save money on mortgage interest if I put 5% down, in that the principal balance would be slightly smaller, my rate would be a bit lower, more of my payments would go toward equity, and I would start out with almost enough equity to pay a realtor's commission if I needed to sell on short notice for any reason.

On the other hand, 5% is almost all my cash on hand, so I'd have to borrow in the event of an emerency, which could put me back in a situation that I was pretty proud to get out of (2 years ago, I had over $15k in credit card debt and a 650 FICO; no I have no credit card debt and a FICO that occasionally hits 800). Plus, the difference in monthly payments isn't really that much (less than $100/mo. difference). Mortgage interest is tax deductible, and I could put a portion of my cash into my 401(k), and get instant returns. Also, if I keep my current money in a cash-convertible form, I could use it to write a check at the closing table if I needed to unload for some unforeseen reason. 

I'm actually leaning to doing a 0% down deal, because I like having money in the bank. But the risk-averse ghosts of my anti-debt grandparents are tugging at my conscience and telling me that more mortgage is always bad, no matter what. I'm not financially savvy enough to run an expected future value computation over various time frames to figure out which deal is better. Anyone want to take a shot at that for me?!

Citi Platinum Dividend $34,600 line, 14.2%%
Bank of America Platinum Rewards, $85,000 line, 13.99%
Discover It $50,000 line, 20.9%
Amex Blue Cash Preferred $18,000 line, 9.99%
Capital One Venture One, $8,500 line, 20.9%
Amex Hilton Honors $25,000 line, 17.24%

Amex Delta Platinum, 20,000 line, 22.99%
Belk store card, $124 line, 15%, $0 balance on all cards
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
joshall
Contributor

Re: lower interest rate or no down payment

I dont have the full picture of the story. numbers, but interest rate is tax-refundable.

In any instances, I would choose mortgage that has no PMI instead.

Message 2 of 7
Lemmus
Established Contributor

...have you got a GFE from your lenders? ...$5k total buyer closing costs on a $200k loan is, imnsho, very low 

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 3 of 7
Agent86
New Contributor

Thanks for the feedback. Joshall, what extra info would help give a fuller picture? My hesitation with doing a 3℅ down transaction with no PMI is that the higher interest rate is for the life of the loan, so it'd basically be permanent lpmi which wouldn't give the option to cancel once equity exceeds 20%.

Lemmus, no GFE yet, but estimates were roughly the same across the board.
Citi Platinum Dividend $34,600 line, 14.2%%
Bank of America Platinum Rewards, $85,000 line, 13.99%
Discover It $50,000 line, 20.9%
Amex Blue Cash Preferred $18,000 line, 9.99%
Capital One Venture One, $8,500 line, 20.9%
Amex Hilton Honors $25,000 line, 17.24%

Amex Delta Platinum, 20,000 line, 22.99%
Belk store card, $124 line, 15%, $0 balance on all cards
Message 4 of 7
kayvee_
Regular Contributor

im no expert but it sounds like you dont want to cash out all your savings which is understandable. 0% down seems to be your option. If I had the option myself, I would probably go that route. is there a big difference in the monthly payment? sorry i didnt do the math. 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

just because they wont let put 3 percent down on the 0 down mortgage doesn't mean you cant send them a 6k check the day after you sign on the line.  Just a thought.

Message 6 of 7
Lemmus
Established Contributor

...you've got 11k in the bank ...0 down @4% and it stays there ...where else can you get 11k @ 4% effective? ...thats what the 0 dp option amounts to imnsho ...hth

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.