Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mort company wants my phone numbers, haha

tag
SeanAndrews
Regular Contributor

mort company wants my phone numbers, haha

I am almost two months late on my mortgage and got a letter from them regarding "request for updated information".  They want place of employment, home phone and work phone. Of course the letter says the reason is "so we may provide you with better services"...which really translates to  "we have been trying to call you on the phone many times a day and dont seem to have an accurate number, please provide so we can harass you". Funny how they didn't care about providing me bettter services until I became late.

I actually do not have a home phone, and I work from home now for an out of state company. Both my cell and work phone are paid for by the company, so legally I can tell them I do not have a personal number for them to reach me.

What happens in cases like this, where you really do not have a personal number? I know legally you can tell them to not call you at your place of work, and if my two phones are work phones and that is all I have, I suppose tough luck for them?

(of course i am not going to tell them anything, I intend to pay soon but I dont need them harassing me until I do).

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
mauve
Valued Contributor

Re: mort company wants my phone numbers, haha

You can tell them to only contact you in writing.

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@SeanAndrews wrote:

I am almost two months late on my mortgage and got a letter from them regarding "request for updated information".  They want place of employment, home phone and work phone. Of course the letter says the reason is "so we may provide you with better services"...which really translates to  "we have been trying to call you on the phone many times a day and dont seem to have an accurate number, please provide so we can harass you". Funny how they didn't care about providing me bettter services until I became late.

I actually do not have a home phone, and I work from home now for an out of state company. Both my cell and work phone are paid for by the company, so legally I can tell them I do not have a personal number for them to reach me.

What happens in cases like this, where you really do not have a personal number? I know legally you can tell them to not call you at your place of work, and if my two phones are work phones and that is all I have, I suppose tough luck for them?

(of course i am not going to tell them anything, I intend to pay soon but I dont need them harassing me until I do).

The OC is not bound by the same rules of the FDCPA that a CA is. You can't tell an OC to only contact you in writing like you can a CA.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

unless you want to loose your home you need to give them a contact number.  A lack of contact information will play further into any decision as to whether or not you are willing to work with them to take care of your debt.  Also, nto having any contact information may lead them to contact you via other methods (i.e family members if you had to list any contact info, etc)...  In the end, avoiding them by not giving them a contact number does absolutely nothing but escalate the situation.  I don't see the point except for you not to be "harassed" and if you are 2 months behind and are not communicating with them, they have all right to start harrasing you. 

Message 4 of 6
SeanAndrews
Regular Contributor

I have been down this road with them one other time though when they had a number, and even when you talk to them, they state that the automated calls cant stop until the account is paid up. I don't call that "working with me", its a load of crap.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

typically once an account is in past due status they can only hold calls for so long.  IF the account is past due and you make arrangements for the following week, then they can usually halt collection calls.  If it is kind of an open ended kind of I'llc athc up when I can they can not do much to get you out of the system.  Again, be very careful.  Speaking from personal knowledge, lack of contact information can lead to your file getting escalated quickly.  It almost cost me my car when I got behind becuase they did not have the proper number to call me at (I had switched cell phones)

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.