Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mortage reserves question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

mortage reserves question

So I understand fha doesn't require a cash reserve;however, some lenders do. My seller agreed to pay closing costs, but my lender requires me to pay my appriasal fee up front when formally applying for my loan. I'm assuming my appraisal fee will be given back to me after closing, but will the lenders look at this as reserves. Also, does the earnest money deposit count as "reserves" or is the deposit deducted from the total downpayment when the application is going through underwriting. I am  a first time home buyer and I am just so nervous, this mortgage is ALL  I think about. Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: mortage reserves question

deposit is not counted as reserves.

Appraisal you usually pay, you do not get it back and it is not usually covered under seller paid closing costs.  Same as a home inspection if you choose to do one (highly recommended).

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok well I'm buying a bank owned house (BoA) and my realtor told me if I financed through BoA they would pay my appraisal fee. Is this actually true or is BoA trying to make the house seem more appealing to pontential buyers?
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your reserves are what is physically sitting in your bank account. They don't include Earnest Money or App Fees. I only had $500 in my account when my Lender first looked at the account. When I closed I had probably $3500 in there and they didn't ask me where it came from. They basically want to see if you have enough to close the deal.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

well my "reserves" are in my account phsyically as of right now, but after the appraisal fee, home inspection, and earnest money deposit, they are going to take a tremendous hit. My downpayment is being gifted, so I'm good there, I just would like my reserves to at least be respectable to increase my approval chances.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

there is also a tendancy among UW to be stricter on reserves when someone is using a gift.  That is because not having any money saved for the down payment, and not having  at least a couple payments worth in reserves shows an inability to save or budget in most cases and will worry a UW.
Message 6 of 7
hawkeye33
Regular Contributor

Well, not sure what your contract states, but it might have been a good idea to get a dollar value for the amount the seller is contributing to closing and to state 'toward closing and prepaids'. That way, some of those costs may be paid for out of the seller's money.

My realtor was really good about telling me to stand firm with prepaids such as home and pest inspections, radon inspection, etc. He was right that the inspectors asked immediately following the inspection how I wanted to pay (implying cash, check, etc.). I told them it would be rolled into the closing. Other than a puppy dog look of disappointment on their face, I had no issues with that. So as far as inspections, I would tell them you want that paid at closing. That will allow at least a portion of the reserves to remain in your account.

As for the appraisal fee, do you have anything in writing from BoA that they will pay appraisal? If so, then I would say that's for real. If not, get it in writing/contract.

@Anonymous wrote:
well my "reserves" are in my account phsyically as of right now, but after the appraisal fee, home inspection, and earnest money deposit, they are going to take a tremendous hit. My downpayment is being gifted, so I'm good there, I just would like my reserves to at least be respectable to increase my approval chances.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.