Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mortgage after ch7 bk discharge

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

mortgage after ch7 bk discharge

to shane, i was inquiring today from other mortgage lender if I could be approved for a mortgage if i was only discharged for just a year and they told me that I should wait till 3-5 years, is this true? My husband got laid off, and at this point I am the only earner with $43300/yr income could get to $50/yr with my overtime. I have 15K on my 401k and trying to save through Navy federal credit union. My fico score from Experian is 606, Eq 619 Tran? . I found this property in Florida for $125K. We are first time home buyer, is it really possible for us to get a mortgage at this point. Please advice.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: mortgage after ch7 bk discharge

fha = 2yrs post bk. (1yr with special circumstances)

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

What special circumstances?. Is being laid-off from job not considered special circumstances. Will this mean I really have to wait for 2 years. Is there any lender you know that is more linient about this bk situation. Anyone, your input is appreciated.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

anyone??. is it really impossible to get a mortgage,1 year discharged from BK?
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think anyone is less strict than FHA.

As far as extenuating circumstances, I think job loss can come into play, but it would be figured into the whole equation.  If you had recovered, had some money down and great reserves, and a low DTI, the extenuating circumstances might pull through.  It is the whole package an underwriter would look at I think.  They are going to be really picky about a BK at 1 year and extenuating circumstances probably so without more explanation about husbands work situation, your debt loads, down payment money, etc it is hard to give a good answer.

Also, remember with FHA even if you are the only income, both of your debts will be considered towards DTI if you live in a community property state.

Message 5 of 9
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

usda might be 1yr.

Retired Lender
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry from being ignorant, but what is usda?
Message 7 of 9
brownee
Frequent Contributor

I believe it the US Dept of Agriculture...here is a website: http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/
7/7/09 TU: 630 EQ: 638 EX: ??
4/3/09 TU: 599 EQ: 606 EX: ??
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Brownee, I will check this site.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.