Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mortgage approval process

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

mortgage approval process

My husband and I are currently looking for a new home. A meeting that I had with a mortgage banker left me a bit confused, so I am hoping to get some clarification. 

My husband's credit score is well over 800, and he consistently pays off his credit card in its entirety every single month. 

My credit score per today's report is 792, but it is showing up as high use of revolving credit (35%). This does not take into account a recent credit line increase or payments to my credit cards which make my actual utilization 12.5% once the reports update.

I plan on paying off all but one credit card 100% and paying down the remaining one to a low balance next week, and maintaining that level of use moving forward. 

My concern is this: will past balances on my credit cards be a huge problem in getting the best possible rate of mortgage if they are paid off when we officially start the process with the bank? Also, does the difference in our credit scores mean that we will have a lower rate in general? 

I have no negative marks on my credit otherwise, but my husband's immaculate history has me feeling anxious.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Re: mortgage approval process

credit card utilization only impacts your credit score.  for mortgage purposes, scores of 760+ will get the best rates.  you have no worries since your score is 792.

good luck

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.