Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mortgage condition problem... help!!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

mortgage condition problem... help!!!!

One of the conditions of my mortgage approval is that I satisfy a judgment. There are two judgments from the same plaintiff with different docket numbers and amounts, but from the same year. One for $670 is satisfied, and the other one for $720 needs to be paid.

However the county clerk has no record of this judgment. The docket # doesn't even show up in their system.

I called the collections company listed on the judgment and they don't even have a record of me owing them anything; just the satisfied judgment. They agree it is probably an error. I'm trying to get them to send me a letter that I do not have any outstanding judgments from them against me, but they told me they don't write those types of letters. I'm still working on it...

My only other option is to dispute it off my credit report. But I don't want to start a dispute while I'm trying to close. Also, a dispute can take a long time and we were looking to close in 2-4 weeks.

I don't know how I can satisfy this condition. I would gladly pay if anyone knew what it was, but it seems to be some sort of mistake!

Any ideas? I have no idea what I can do. The county clerks office told me over the phone that they cannot print a letter for me either. What to do...

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Re: mortgage condition problem... help!!!!

This might be a perfect "dispute" scenerio! How can you pay something they have no info on???

Is this on all 3 reports????

Wait for a few others to chime in, but if no one has info on the judgement, they can't keep reporting!

Message Edited by BungalowMo on 07-22-2009 01:08 PM
BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BungalowMo wrote:

This might be a perfect "dispute" scenerio! How can you pay something they have no info on???

Is this on all 3 reports????

Wait for a few others to chime in, but if no one has info on the judgement, they can't keep reporting!

Message Edited by BungalowMo on 07-22-2009 01:08 PM

Yep it's on all 3 reports. I will definitely dispute it but I'm wary of doing that before I close. And if I do it now, I thought disputes take a couple of months. And I need to close in August.

This is nuts, I don't know what to do to show the bank that there is no judgment to satisfy. It's an impossible mortgage condition to meet at this point.

I have a letter from the CA that my balance has been paid off (it doesn't state the amount though.) My LO is hoping this will be acceptable, however this letter is really regarding the satisfied judgment, not the phantom one!

Message 3 of 8
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Most disputes don't take that long.  If they have NO knowledge of this acct/judgement, it certainly can't come back as "verified"! 

Well....with EX, anything is possible!  I hate them! Smiley Mad

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you do decide to dispute, I noticed the dispute I did online moved much slower(45 days) than the one I actually phoned it(2-3 days).

Dont know if this helps or not.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

One thing, if you have an open dispute you may not be able to close.  Most UW will not approve a file if there are items under dispute.  You should be able to get the info on the credit reports to the creditor and track down who the debt was to/from I would think.  There should be an acount number.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
One thing, if you have an open dispute you may not be able to close.  Most UW will not approve a file if there are items under dispute.  You should be able to get the info on the credit reports to the creditor and track down who the debt was to/from I would think.  There should be an acount number.

Ahhh herein lies the problem.

The judgement lists the creditor. No account number, but a docket# from the judgment. The creditor has no idea what it is! They see that I settled the one account I have with them but it's a different number. Even they think it's some error related to the judgment I did pay them on. Trust me, they would love to take my money if they had an open judgment on me!

The court has no reference for this docket number either. It's totally phantom. And now I'm totally stuck because I don't want to risk the loan falling through.

Message 7 of 8
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

It's likely the credit bureau or the court will have to rectify this.  Wish it was easier to communicate with the CRA's, but if you are able to get someone on the phone there to do a 3-way phone call with the county clerk's office (since the county clerk usually picks up without having to be on hold, I'd recommend call them second) so they can get quick communication between the two - that would be my suggestion.  The CRA's likely won't accept any verbal information as proof the judgement wasn't ever to be, but at least the clerks office can provide the CRA whatever documentation via mail that would be found acceptable to remove it.  That would be what I'd do first.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.