Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mortgage not approved

tag
fezwhy
Regular Contributor

mortgage not approved

So I just received word that I do not qualify for a mortgage. The reason given is due to my foreclosure in 2008 and I I must wait 7 years for a conventional loan. I must wait til after 8 2015. I have to say I am very disappointed. They pulled my fico and I am at 660. I could have sworn I read somewhere you can get a loan after 5 years. I applied at my local credit union. My income is 42k per year with 0 balance on my credit card and no other loans. A few friends have given me some referrals and I am debating trying someone else. Should I try again or keep working on my credit?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Re: mortgage not approved

I'm sorry to hear about your issue.

Have you thought about going FHA?  I believe the rules are less restrictive for a foreclosure....3 or 4 years.

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 2 of 8
fezwhy
Regular Contributor

I didn't think you could if you already foreclosed on a house with fha the last time. Hmm I guess I need to read up more. I thought maybe explaining my situation to the mortgage lender and they would help pick the one I would probably qualify for
Message 3 of 8
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

i didn't know there was a specification, but that may be the case....i'm not sure.  good luck!

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 4 of 8
sueyang83
New Contributor

Just wanted to let you know that for a FHA loan, you only have to wait for 3 years.  I deed my last home back to the bank in 2009 and I am currently in the middle of a home purchase right now.  As long as your DTI ratio is low, improved your credit score, have enough to put down and or pay the closing cost, and shop for a home within your DTI ratio, there shouldn't be a problem.  My mid score pulled is a 650 and you will need atleast a 640 to qualify for 3.5% down.  So don't give up, there is hope and a 2nd chance out there. 

EQ-628: TU-649; EX-650 (Lender pull as of 08/01/13
Goal-700
Message 5 of 8
Amythyst
Contributor

That could also be a lender specific overlay... as far as I knew, conventional loans only required a 4 year wait after foreclosure.

Message 6 of 8
fezwhy
Regular Contributor

Good info everyone. There is hope for me then. I have 2 referrals for mortgage lenders. I think I will give it another try. I worked so hard on my credit. I was at 760 before foreclosure and dropped down into the 400s after foreclosure. It took 5 years to bring my score up to 660.
Message 7 of 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Yes, everyone above is right - the criteria for FHA is 3 years from the date the deed transferred from you back to the bank. Make sure you bring that info in to your mortgage broker or mortgage banker. By info, I mean a copy of the deed going back to the bank. You will see it on the public records for your county where the proprty was located.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.