Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mortgage pre-qual to build next spring? Please help

tag
giazma5

mortgage pre-qual to build next spring? Please help

Hi all,

This is my first post (I have learned a ton this year from you guys!)  My husband and I are looking to build a new home and the builder needs us to pre-qual before we go under contract.  The thing is we would not even start building until spring and close in 2012 but the city I live in is giving 20k to the first 500 build permits this year and deadline is Aug 2011.  To get the 20k the builder said he can order the permit and hold it as long as we close by Aug 2012 (1 year) we qualify for it.  Heres the background

Chap 7 that will be 3 y/o in January

Hubby makes $102k a year 

score right NOW are tu-609 eq-599

about 8k in revolving, but high utilization bc they were started cards after bk and to be honest we thought having balances were a good thing (I know now)

his car payment is 598 and we have 3 years left on loan

student loans are 110 a month

Me: make 38k

scores are now tu-612 eq-604

have same 8k in revolving plus a 4500 installment medical loan

All current and paid

I am a co-owner of my hubbs 598 car payment

and mine is 599 but he is not on that one

Sooo.....I was thinking that it may be better if my hubby goes it alone, it seems that my debt to income ratio is going to do more harm than good. My questions are

with 20-25k down, (house price 365k in lockport Il) prop tax 2.4% does he seem to be FHA worthy at this point.

I know the scores are low, but once we move in with my parents for about 8 months we will be saving the 2,500 we currently pay on rent and his credit cards will be paid off and his score should shoot up well above 620-630.

Does this seem right, if not please correct me since I am all guesses here. 

The issue I have at hand is how would we get a prequal letter now when our situation is certainly going to be alot better in a year when we plan to close??

I explained the situation to the builder and he said prequal letter has to be in before we go under contract to build.

thanks so much for any ideas or advice

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

Re: mortgage pre-qual to build next spring? Please help

We are actually in a somewhat similar situation. We were planning to buy in Spring, 2012, but 2 months ago stumbled across an awesome opportunity to start building a home immediately. However, my credit score needed some work. Our house will take 8 months to build (finished Feb 2012) and by then, my score would be in much better shape and fine for closing, but we had to get a pre-approval from a lender in order to sign the purchase agreement and break ground on our home.

My husband's credit scores are in the high 700s, so he looks great on paper, but he's a teacher with a very low salary. I make a little over $100K, but had a few SLs default a few years back (high balances, I make monthly payments, but they are still unpaid) and therefore, my credit scores were struggling. Luckily, I had already started the credit repair journey last year, so my scores had already started to increase when we came across the building opportunity.

While lenders will take into your ablity to improve your scores, finances, etc prior to closing, it's highly likely that they'll still want to see that you're technically qualifiable right now, otherwsie, they won't provide you with a pre-approval letter. If you're border-line, they may even add in conditions (e.g. score must be X, must pay off X). In that case, you'd need to check with the builder to see if a pre-approval with conditions is acceptable for their purposes (our builder said it was fine).

In the last 60 days, we have busted our butts to get my scores above the 620 mark for pre-approval. I can tell you, the absolute quickest way to get your scores up is to pay your revolving debt down. Both you and your husband need to get your scores up in order to get pre-qualified - 640 is ideal, but 620 is probably do-able. I would go ahead and start talking to a LO and find out their score requirements, etc.

Regarding whether you should be included on the loan, you didn't give a ton of information, but DTI is calculated by combining the income and debt of all applicants and based on what you've said, I don't think your income and debts will tip the scale that much (alone they may look bad, but your husband's income is high with little debt). Again, I suggest speaking with a loan officer and determining two things: 1) is your DTI acceptable with both you and your husband on the loan (if it is, there's no reason not to include you - I wouldn't want my spouse to buy a home without me!) and 2) if the DTI is a problem with both of you, can your husband qualify with his income alone.

If you can start paying down the revolving debt, be strategic. Utilization is scored both individually (each account's util %) and by combining all revolving together (overall util %). Therefore, I would start by paying OFF the smallest revolving debts you have a working up from there. The more $0 balances, the better, but ultimately, the overall util % is the most important. Do you know where your overall util % sits now?? With scores hovering around 600 and high util %s, I think it's very likely that your scores will increase to over 640 by paying down revolving debt, especially if it gets it under 50%. Great that all of your revolving is joint - kills 2 birds with 1 stone!

Mid-2010 Starting Scores: FAKO EQ 476 FAKO EX 506 FICO TU98 575
July 2017 Current Scores: Approx 710 (waiting for official updates)
Message 2 of 7
giazma5

a Re: mortgage pre-qual to build next spring? Please help

Thanks for your reply and congrats on the new house! My husband is ironically a techer as well!

I agree with the paying down the cc's and we can do that 100% if we sold our home (well my parents home they bought and rent out to us)

and moved in with them for a few months, but I am afraid to sell, move my kids again and then next year still not qualify....cant ask parents to by their adult daughter a house a SECOND time.

Since you are in education you may know......Do they look at type of employment?  My hubby has been a teacher at the same place for over 12 years, I work in law enforcement for 3 years......Not that I expect special treatment but we are both stable and recession proof, I guess I mean do we look more appealing to lend to than say someone whos salary varies greatly  (sales, waitressing etc)'

I will not make excuses for our chp 7 or come up with a sad story that lead to that, bc in reality the truth is I was horrible at money managing and screwed up royally, Lesson learned for sure.  Went from single mother making x amount of dollars to married at 22 with xxxxxx amount of dollars so I shopped shopped shopped and renovated renovated renovated.. However,  Before we decided to file, we did not have one late, on collection or anything.....we were just borrowing from peter to pay paul and it got out of my control. I am now 30 and have better control over our finances

That being said I guess I will at least try to pre qual.....maybe i can even ask for the conditions so the builder is aware of where we are at??

I know my builder would take a contract with conditions and we have been upfront about our situation with him as well. 

Message 3 of 7
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: a Re: mortgage pre-qual to build next spring? Please help

I like your question, giazma5 - about "recession proof" jobs.  I'm also in corrections and prisons don't close (yet ?).  I'm hoping that my job/pay and low DTI will make up for my HORRIFIC payment history.

Good luck to you!  Stay Safe.

Boone

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 4 of 7
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Your debt ratio would be lower with your on the loan, and your scores are about the same, with the credit card debt paid off I bet your scores will increase a lot more than 10-20 points... more like 40-50 in my estimation.  3 year old BK + high cc utilization = "meh" scores.  3 year old BK + low cc utilization + no new negatives since + plenty of on time payments on various revolving/installment trade lines = ~660+ scores (I just checked someone's credit who had twelve 120 mortgage lates over 2 trade lines just over 2 years ago and their scores were 730+).   At $2,500/mo in savings x 8 months = $20k you'll have to pay down $8k in credit cards, plus save up for the down payment.  If you just miss the lenders score requirement (like if it's a 620) then they should still be able to give you a pre-qualification letter with one of the conditions that your credit score reaches a certain point.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 5 of 7
giazma5

Thanks shane,

I do agree we need to pay down that cc debt, and we will no doubt.   We will make about 10k off our current home so that would go straight to cc's but we are going to have to give that money towards the contract straight off the bat to break ground.  So thats 10k towards the down payment there.  Our take home is about 9-10k a month so if we do not even count the 2500 we would be paying towards our mortgage and sack it away it should give us that extra 20k that would go towards the house and closing total about 30k towards the new house.  That leaves us 7k for cars and cc payments and living a month.  Anything extra will be going in savings.  My husband and I decided that since we will be paying PMI anyway keeping anything over the 20k (on top of the initail 10k) should be saved for reserves would be a better idea for us.  Unless we are told otherwise.....Do you think this is a good plan or do you have any suggestions to improve our success rate here

thanks again!

Message 6 of 7
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

I think that sounds like a good plan.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.