Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mortgage transfer lowers credit score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

mortgage transfer lowers credit score?

We were Colonial customers.  When the bank was closed our mortgage was sold/transferred to Cenlar.  This was in Aug/Sept. They did not report the mortgage until Dec. and it has just hit the fico score.  With no mortgage showing, my husbands score went down.  It started to creep up due to paying down CCs. Now that Cenlar has reported the mortgage, his score dropped about 20 points.  Shouldn't it have gone up?  Does it get counted as a new mortgage?  We want to refinance, but all this has made his score go down under 700 when it should be over 720. 

There are several reports of  "old" mortgages listed as transfers from the previous sales from bank to bank. There are no late payments on any reports on mortgages.  (Only one CC account has two 30 days late from about 3-4 years ago. The rest of the low score is reflected in debt-credit ratio -- we're woring on that!)

What should I do about this, if anything?  There technically is no "error" to report.  The problem seems to be in the scoring, but you can't call and speak to anyone at FICO to even make sure about what is going on or to find out how to get the information "reported" into the Fico computer so that we get the credit for paying on time on this mortgage for 11 years.   This is very frustrating.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shari

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: mortgage transfer lowers credit score?

@Anonymous wrote:

We were Colonial customers.  When the bank was closed our mortgage was sold/transferred to Cenlar.  This was in Aug/Sept. They did not report the mortgage until Dec. and it has just hit the fico score.  With no mortgage showing, my husbands score went down.  It started to creep up due to paying down CCs. Now that Cenlar has reported the mortgage, his score dropped about 20 points.  Shouldn't it have gone up?  Does it get counted as a new mortgage?  We want to refinance, but all this has made his score go down under 700 when it should be over 720. 

There are several reports of  "old" mortgages listed as transfers from the previous sales from bank to bank. There are no late payments on any reports on mortgages.  (Only one CC account has two 30 days late from about 3-4 years ago. The rest of the low score is reflected in debt-credit ratio -- we're woring on that!)

What should I do about this, if anything?  There technically is no "error" to report.  The problem seems to be in the scoring, but you can't call and speak to anyone at FICO to even make sure about what is going on or to find out how to get the information "reported" into the Fico computer so that we get the credit for paying on time on this mortgage for 11 years.   This is very frustrating.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shari

Unfortuantly anyone who offeres credit is not obligated to report your payment history to the credit bureaus.  You could try to call the new mortgage holder and see if they could get all the credit info on the account updated.  I would say that your probably right in that fico most likely is counting it as a new mortgage which means you wont see any score benefits from on time payments for atleast 6 months.  I got my my first mortgage this year and yes my score took a hit when it showed up but I got those pts and more back after the 6 months of on time payments.  Of course getting your dti down will help you more quickly

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.