Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

newbie help-trying to refi!!!

tag
BIRDWRITER
Regular Contributor

newbie help-trying to refi!!!

Hi, I desperately need advice! Hubby and I are in the middle of trying to refi, and we've hit some snags!

History: mortgage and title are in my name only, because I owned house before we got married, and never bothered to add his name because in our state (IL) he would automatically get half anyway we thought. We now have three big problems:

1. He has good credit, but mine tanked due to being out of work for 1-1/2 years. He was preapproved for the refi, but now they say they can't do it in his name alone since he's not on the title. If I add him we will still have to wait 6 months.

2. We probably can't get approved if they add my credit in---my FICO's are 568 TU, 621 EQ, and 595 EX. I'm in the process of repair (hanging out at rebuilding blog) but I have a long way to go.

3. My original mortgage has changed hands 4 times as one bank bought another. I just found out that the title shows a small (9k) balance to the original mortgage bank, which has been out of business for 12 years! I never refi'd---this was just a case of mortgage being handed from one bank to another--so any balance should have moved along and been cleared. How do I begin to straighten this mess out?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! Just spoke with the loan processor this morning, and she said it's a "Catch-22."   AAArrrggghhhh!
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
BIRDWRITER
Regular Contributor

Re: newbie help-trying to refi!!!

Bump and update!

I called my present Mortgage company today (WaMu) and they were very pleasant and helpful. I'm hopeful they'll be able to resolve the issue of the small old lien on my title. They even offered--before I asked--to remove the one late 30 payment on my report.

So, here's my question: since my husband can't do the refi alone unless I put him on the title and wait 6 months, what are our chances of getting a joint loan with my current credit? 568 TU, 621 EQ, and 595 EX. I have some baddies (3 paid CO's, 1 current collection under dispute, and lots of old lates.) I told the loan processor I can explain most of the baddies, (was out of work in 2002-2003, but everything except $170 disputed collection is paid off or current) but I'm just not sure they'll touch me.

Any advice please! Thanks so much....Smiley Sad
Message 2 of 16
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

what kind of loan? conventional? fha?
Retired Lender
Message 3 of 16
BIRDWRITER
Regular Contributor

30 yr. conventional fixed, currently applying with Chase/JP Morgan....
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you asked your loan officer about "selling" your home to your DH? That way the fact that he's not now on the title shouldn't be an issue. It would be a little more expensive and hassle than a traditional refi, but it would maybe allow him to be approved on the loan without you. It will be cheaper than an actual sale, because you can save all of the realtor's commissions.
Message 5 of 16
BIRDWRITER
Regular Contributor

Hi Bob,

We asked about doing it as a purchase, but the loan processor advised us not to do it that way. She said it would "open a can of worms."  I asked her what she meant, and she said we couldn't get cash out to pay off bills (one of our reasons for wanting to refi) and said the house would have to go through an inspection, etc. She also said it would take 4 months!  I'm not sure exactly why she was so against it, but we dropped the subject. It's so frustrating, because DH has the good credit, I have the house title. Smiley Mad  If only we could work it out!

They haven't called back yet about my credit---said they'd review and let us know--but I think they'll reject me. We don't really have to refi, we're making it okay, but I hate paying all this credit card interest that could be turned into tax-deductible mortgage interest.

Is there anything we can do or say to convince the processor/underwriter to take a chance?  Smiley Sad

thanks for the advice!
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BIRDWRITER wrote:
They haven't called back yet about my credit---said they'd review and let us know--but I think they'll reject me. We don't really have to refi, we're making it okay, but I hate paying all this credit card interest that could be turned into tax-deductible mortgage interest.
Is there anything we can do or say to convince the processor/underwriter to take a chance? Smiley Sad
thanks for the advice!

Yikes. Do you really want to roll credit card debt into your house loan? That means you could be paying it off for the next 30 years or so. And if you miss a few CC payments, it hits your credit scores but they don't take your house! Can you get a part time job or cut back on expenses to work on the CCs for awhile? Perhaps as your score improves you can get some good balance transfer offers..
Message 7 of 16
BIRDWRITER
Regular Contributor

Rmily, I know what you're saying---initially, I thought it would be crazy to use equity in the house to pay off CC---but it was actually our accountant who recommended it. We have lots of equity, and an old original mortgage at 9.5%! Refi at 6.75% would save us a ton of interest. We're not behind on any bills now, we're making it okay, but we also have very few tax deductions---we're DINKs. Smiley Wink

We figured rolling it all into the mortgage would allow us a lot of breathing room (we could get by on one salary if either of us got laid off or disabled), the interest we would initially be charged would help as a tax deduction, and we could hopefully save enough to pay the mortgage in full in ten years. Right now, we're always paying on time, but kinda living from paycheck to paycheck.

Sigh...it sounds like a good plan on paper!  Now if only I could convince the underwriter...Smiley Sad

Message Edited by BIRDWRITER on 09-18-2008 06:59 PM
Message 8 of 16
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

you need to be on the loan. you would be surprised at what can get approved with that low loan to value ratio. is your scores over 580?
Retired Lender
Message 9 of 16
BIRDWRITER
Regular Contributor

Hi Dallas, my FICO's are 568 TU, 621 EQ, and 595 EX.  If we pull out the CC money and closing costs, we'll be financing about 76% of current value--- but house has lost $65K in the past year of crashing home values, although it's starting to creep up a tiny bit now. We're in a suburb of Chicago with traditionally steady home prices and fast home sales (neighbor recently sold house in less than a week) so I feel pretty safe that it will regain value pretty quickly when (if?) economy starts to improve. If we get this loan and pay off CC's, our total monthly payments (cars and mortgage) will be less than 35% of our take-home pay. I feel like a leper when lenders look at my credit report though. DH's CU already informed us they wouldn't take me, but Chase is at least taking a look.Smiley Indifferent

Message Edited by BIRDWRITER on 09-18-2008 08:39 PM
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.