Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

options for new construction homes

tag
rehr22
Contributor

options for new construction homes

All,

I am trying to get an understanding on how much options can play into the mortgage price on new construction homes.

I am interested in a few homes in New Jersey, anywhere from 2,500 to 3,500 square feet, from between $450,000 and $550,000.  The homes are still in the design phase, so there is no options list yet.  The website mentions options like, granite, stainless stell, audio center, etc..., just trying to get my head around how much these options could set me back.

Thanks!

Starting Score: (2009) EQ = 626 | TU = 664
Current Score: (03-18-2014) EQ = 737 | TU = 703 | EX = 723
Goal Score: 740

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 48
47 REPLIES 47
playboy
Regular Contributor

Re: options for new construction homes

The builder should be able to give you the prices for certain packages.  

Starting Score: EX 575/TU 534/EQ 570
Current Scores per Myfico: (As of 12-14-13) EX 690/EQ 685/TU 679
Goal Score: 720

Message 2 of 48
Autumnslight
Frequent Contributor

The amounts can vary WILDLY. I just signed a contract for a house with a base price of $210k and about 2,250 square feet. Stainless steel appliances started around $3.500, granite in the kitchen was about $3,000 to $6,000, granite in the bathroom was about $300 to $600 for each bathroom, home audio wiring had a bunch of options ranging from several hundred up to a few thousand, central air $3,800, etc. There were options for everything from lights to extra outlets, extra windows, different types of flooring, you name it. They add up FAST!

Scores:
07/29/12: EX FICO (Amex) 684 | EQ MyFICO 631 | TU Walmart 695
Current: EX FICO (MyFICO) 733 | EQ (MyFICO) 683 | TU (Walmart) 745

First Goal: 700+ across the board - Got it on EX & TU!!!
Message 3 of 48
rehr22
Contributor

@playboy wrote:

The builder should be able to give you the prices for certain packages.  

Cool, I will ask them for a rundown.

Message 4 of 48
rehr22
Contributor

@Autumnslight wrote:

The amounts can vary WILDLY. I just signed a contract for a house with a base price of $210k and about 2,250 square feet. Stainless steel appliances started around $3.500, granite in the kitchen was about $3,000 to $6,000, granite in the bathroom was about $300 to $600 for each bathroom, home audio wiring had a bunch of options ranging from several hundred up to a few thousand, central air $3,800, etc. There were options for everything from lights to extra outlets, extra windows, different types of flooring, you name it. They add up FAST!

Thanks, this is very helpful.

For me, granite and stainless steel in the kitchen is a top priority.

Message 5 of 48
Autumnslight
Frequent Contributor

Just make sure you compare the price they're asking to how much it would cost you to buy/have done otherwise. If you do it through the builder, you're going to be paying interest on those appliances and that countertop for 30 years, long after they're probably in a landfill! Plus, the total purchase price is normally what determines your property taxes, so you'll be paying more in taxes every month thanks to the appliances and countertop. If it's a good deal through the builder, by all means, go for it. But sometimes you can do it after closing a LOT cheaper.

Scores:
07/29/12: EX FICO (Amex) 684 | EQ MyFICO 631 | TU Walmart 695
Current: EX FICO (MyFICO) 733 | EQ (MyFICO) 683 | TU (Walmart) 745

First Goal: 700+ across the board - Got it on EX & TU!!!
Message 6 of 48
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

My builder those options were standard.

Message 7 of 48
demi
Established Contributor

When I bought my house, my rule was only pay for stuff that would cost more or be difficult to do later on...gas line for barbeque, upgraded stair case rails, etc.  To me it would be a waste to rip out perfectly good counters and put in granite a year from now.  I thought I was very practical, minor upgrade on carpeting (but no so much that I would mind tearing it out to put in hardwood down the line) but not hardwood, they wanted a ridiculous amount for hardwood flooring, so high I think they just didn't want to do it.  I was very practical, ended up getting granite thrown in instead of an upgrade (wish I had corian, would have paid for that),  minor tile work in bathrooms, very reasonable....until I went for 9000 in shutters.  I don't regret it, probably would not have been able to do it otherwise (although I seriously doubt it would have cost that much).  Oh well, been almost 5 years, and I love everything I did.

One thing I didn't do and regret now, painting.  For 1,500 could have had the whole house painted one color.  Thought that was crazy.  Now I look at my still white walls and wonder why I didn't do it.

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 8 of 48
rehr22
Contributor

Wow, 9K in shutters!

Message 9 of 48
demi
Established Contributor

Plantation. What drove up the price was the sliding glass door shutters. Expensive, but will last forever.

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 10 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.