Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

overdrafts from savings

tag
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: overdrafts from savings

OP, you asked what it "looks like to the underwriter":   honestly, it looks like you don't know how to manage your financial accounts.

Remember, when the LO collects your information he is putting together a package for the underwriter to show you can not only afford the puchase, but that you are willing to pay it and have a history of on time payments without issue. And in the package, if you had a one time issue that can be explained (LOE's). If you have a history of issues, its not so easy to explain to an underwriter.

If you have a history of OD's, NSF's and other negative bank account information, even if you have plenty of money, it means you can't manage your money. It looks like if anything were to happen at all during the loan period, you would not be able to make your payment either due to lack of money or lack of organization to "remember" to pay.

The good news is this: all you have to do is organize your accounts now. Set up a bank register and be diligent about putting in your debits and credits. Keep a separate written record. You won't OD anymore and if you have several months (at least 3 clear statements) then you can get on the road to buying a house. If you are self-employed you will want to have a much longer period of clear statements available (1 year).  The underwriter typically only asks for 2 or 3 months, but if they see that you have difficulty then they are going to ask for a longer period to see if the difficulty is an event or a pattern. A pattern of NSF's or OD's is a deal killer.

Message 11 of 19
FrugalRican
Blogger

@StartingOver10 wrote:

OP, you asked what it "looks like to the underwriter":   honestly, it looks like you don't know how to manage your financial accounts.

Remember, when the LO collects your information he is putting together a package for the underwriter to show you can not only afford the puchase, but that you are willing to pay it and have a history of on time payments without issue. And in the package, if you had a one time issue that can be explained (LOE's). If you have a history of issues, its not so easy to explain to an underwriter.

I'd have to echo this sentiment, specially since some banks code that transaction as an "Overdraft Protection Transfer".

There are some technicalities to this, but it could look just the same depending on what the lender is. It doesn't matter that it's a Savings to Checking, unless it's just seen as a straight-up Transfer.

OP, are you getting charged for doing this? A lot of banks will do this, but at a fee for doing so.

Typically about $5 per transaction.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 12 of 19
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

OP posted that 3 yrs ago. Smiley Sad

Message 13 of 19
FrugalRican
Blogger

Thread necroing is spreading like wildfire!!!

D'oh! Should have read the date.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 14 of 19
techgirl
Frequent Contributor

There are many good old threads that should be posted so that we can continue to learn from them without asking the same questions. Well, I wrote the motherload of all  letters regarding  overdrafts from a credit card overdraft account. Never thought that was a problem -  guess again! I think we nailed the letter - I'm so frickin' nervous!!!!

05/12: approx 680 across the board
04/08 EQ: 730 TU: 748 EX: 718
03/08: EQ: 713 TU: ? EX: ?
12/07: EQ: 689 TU: 711 EX: 721
Message 15 of 19
hankejp
New Contributor

Do the Underwriting and NSF's apply to all loans?  VA, USDA, Conventional, etc?  I never knew of this, which isn't good for me I guess.

Message 16 of 19
techgirl
Frequent Contributor

After everything I have been through, I would never overdraft again. Before buying a home have  at least two to three months of no overdrafts. I think they are scrutinizing us more due to our history...? But to be safe - it isn't a good idea to get used to an overdraft credit card. Make sure you have a good savings at least $2,000 or so or more depending... We saved $7,500 by the time the house was  done being built and paid off a credit card  we used as a down payment. That is another lesson - never, ever use a credit card to put down on a lot that could be considered a down... We had to pay it off fast. Call all TU, EQ and EX and get rid of all consumer comments (they could work  against you).

Message 17 of 19
LondonMassey
Frequent Contributor

I won't sign up for OP for the simple fact that I know if I had it, I would use it... Often.

I'm too cheap to overdraft, so I monitor my account every other day, and right before a big purchase, I use my banking app to check my balance or transfer if needed.

Cap1(sc) 550, Cap1 750, Walmart 750, Home Depot 3000, Amazon 700, US Bank 1500, Childrens Place 1100, JC Penney 700, Old Navy 700, PayPal 700, Torrid 700, Lane Bryant 150, Avenue 500, OSP 500, Amex Blue 2000, Disc it 1000, Walmart Disc 2200, Old Navy Visa 1700, Mortgage 09-2012, Car Loan 03-2013

Current Score: EQ 665 EX 687 TU 695

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 18 of 19
techgirl
Frequent Contributor

With an over draft  account, they set up up with a Visa that is tied to your Checking and Savings. Let's say you couldn't or didn't move money over from your savings to checking in time - inestead of getting his with overdraft fees, they say, no problem, we will just pull from your Visa Overdraft account and you won't be charged any fees. Payback your Visa anytime you want. Doesn't that sound that it really isn't an overdraft?? Right?? Well, UW don't like it even if you aren't getting fees. I thought it was cool idea and it made it so I didn't have to constantly check my account. I thought it was like "insurance" and wouldn't count as an overdraft. Well, think again....

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.