Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

poor credit and home equitly loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

poor credit and home equitly loan

so here's the deal. i own a piece of property that i inherited, 20 acres with a 20yr old 2000 sq ft home in need of a almost total rehab. i estimate probably 60-70k in material. i will be doing some of the work but will hire out a lot also. zillow estimates the homes value at 368k, i own it free and clear. now the rough part, me and my wifes credit isn't great at all. my scores are from 535-568 and hers are low 600's. between the two of us we make 100k a yr. is there a bank/mortgage company that will take on this loan? i would think it's a win-win for the lender, we default, they just made a ton of money!

6 REPLIES 6
2b2rich
Established Contributor

Re: poor credit and home equitly loan

@Anonymous wrote:

so here's the deal. i own a piece of property that i inherited, 20 acres with a 20yr old 2000 sq ft home in need of a almost total rehab. i estimate probably 60-70k in material. i will be doing some of the work but will hire out a lot also. zillow estimates the homes value at 368k, i own it free and clear. now the rough part, me and my wifes credit isn't great at all. my scores are from 535-568 and hers are low 600's. between the two of us we make 100k a yr. is there a bank/mortgage company that will take on this loan? i would think it's a win-win for the lender, we default, they just made a ton of money!

The $368K would be taking into account the value of the 20 acres, right?   I would imagine that there are subprime lenders out there who would loan you $50k - $60k using $368K+- property for colateral, but I would fear them if it were me.  You will pay a high interest rate for one.  Some of them may even hope that you miss payments so that they can foreclose and do exactly what you said, make a ton of money.  I would definitely read the fine print about being late at all.

Is there anything else you could do besides a loan for that much? Is any of the acreage farmable that you could lease out for awhile to make extra money?  Have you considered selling 5 or 10 of the outer laying acres for cash toward upgrades on the house? (Yeah, I would hate to part with any of the acreage too if that's what you're thinking, but it might be safer?)

Chapter 7 Discharged & Closed Jan 2020
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes that's including the acerage. it's mostly wooded so farming is out of the question unless i cleared it, which i dont want to do. and it's not eligble to divide the property up. so probably no mainstream bank will touch it? 

Message 3 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Mainstream bank is not where you want to go anyway.

Check with a legitimate corresponent lender that originates, underwrites and funds their own loans.  Most also have the capability to broker the loan if they don't have a loan product for you.

Usually when you get a mortgage through a correspondent lender the servicing of the loan is sold to a big box bank anyway.  

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you tell me some of those lenders by chance?
Message 5 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Sure, I will pm you now

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you very much!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.