Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

post bankruptcy and fairly good score.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

post bankruptcy and fairly good score.

I was discharged with Chapter 7  2 1/2 yrs ago. My FICO 5 score, for mortages, is 725. FICO 8 is 700. I have never had any late payments on any types of extensive credit, with a lot of depth, either before, during or after the bankruptcy. I declared bankruptcy for a legal court case, but paid all bills except some laywer fees.

The advice I have received in this forum in the past year has helped me to increase my credit scores. Thanks!   I wonder how far I am off from being able to purchase a jumbo loan in the San Francisco Bay area, pretty pricey homes here. Any insights?

I tried to see what I could do, maybe take out another credit card to increase my credit score, but the score simulators said my score would go down. It suggested that I payd down my credit cards to increase my FICO 8 by 25 points, but I pay them off in full each month. Some I don't use  to stay at a low debt to credt ratio. Not sure what else to do. Car paid off so no installment debt that would help.

Any insights on these matters would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: post bankruptcy and fairly good score.

From Fannie Mae Selling Guide 12/15/15
Bankruptcy (Chapter 7 or Chapter 11)
A four-year waiting period is required, measured from the discharge or dismissal date of the bankruptcy action.

Exceptions for Extenuating Circumstances
A two-year waiting period is permitted if extenuating circumstances can be documented, and is measured from the discharge or dismissal date of the bankruptcy action.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I was discharged with Chapter 7  2 1/2 yrs ago. My FICO 5 score, for mortages, is 725. FICO 8 is 700. I have never had any late payments on any types of extensive credit, with a lot of depth, either before, during or after the bankruptcy. I declared bankruptcy for a legal court case, but paid all bills except some laywer fees.

The advice I have received in this forum in the past year has helped me to increase my credit scores. Thanks!   I wonder how far I am off from being able to purchase a jumbo loan in the San Francisco Bay area, pretty pricey homes here. Any insights?

I tried to see what I could do, maybe take out another credit card to increase my credit score, but the score simulators said my score would go down. It suggested that I payd down my credit cards to increase my FICO 8 by 25 points, but I pay them off in full each month. Some I don't use  to stay at a low debt to credt ratio. Not sure what else to do. Car paid off so no installment debt that would help.

Any insights on these matters would be appreciated.

Hi Vero - all jumbos are going to require at least a 4-year wait after Chapter 7 BK. Even with being 2 years out of BK, you can still do an FHA loan up to $625,500 here in certain counties in the Bay Area (Contra Costa, Alameda, Santa Clara, Marin, Napa, SF, and San Mateo counties).

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the info. I live in san mateo county, and unfortunately the FHA limit comes nowhere near close to what the houses are going for. I dont know if bridge loans can be used.

I would consider a private loan from an investor so that I could have the tax deductions, which are needed.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you get a private loan from an investor?

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are hard equity lender out there, you can google them. Alternatively, and its more of a long shot, advertise in craigslist what you need. There are also local investor clubs throughout the US. Some areas more than others.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.