cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

qualifying for a mortgage with high student loan debt but pay-as-you-earn ("IBR") repayment plan

tag
rgivens
New Visitor

qualifying for a mortgage with high student loan debt but pay-as-you-earn ("IBR") repayment plan

I'm looking for advice from anyone that may be familiar with my situation. I'm interested if I can qualify for a mortgage.

I'm currently in year 3 of 4 years of law school (part-time). I will graduate with well over 100k in student loan debt, all elligible for the income-contingent repayment plan, where my monthly loan payments will be capped at roughly 1/12 * 10% of AGI. Because I'm still in school, I have not yet begun making payments on the loan. Also consider that I'm a public employee, so I will be elligible for debt forgiveness after 10 years of IBR payments.

I have good credit, and solid income.  I want to qualify for a mortgage and I've managed to save enough for 20% down. But won't any credit check show a massive amount of debt which disqualifies me? How can I convince a lender that my student loan payments will be affordable? 

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Re: qualifying for a mortgage with high student loan debt but pay-as-you-earn ("IBR") repa

If you go FHA, they wont count the payments against your DTI if you show your in deferment for the next 12 months.

Message 2 of 4
Kathy4NU
Frequent Contributor

Re: qualifying for a mortgage with high student loan debt but pay-as-you-earn ("IBR") repa

I am going conventional and they said it wouldn't be a problem.  I have over $100,000 in students loans that are in deferement too.

June '12: EQ 553 TU 0 EX 545
April '13 Lender Pull EQ 731, EX 692, TU 722 - all FICO

Closed on home May 22, 2013 at 2:00pm!!!
CU Visa $1000, VS $350, Chase Freedom $1000, Discover IT $2500, Home Depot: $2700, Menards $3000, NFM $3500
What's been deleted: 32 collections, 5 PR, 2 tax liens, defaulted student loans
Message 3 of 4
tcp78

Kathy,

How did you get your delinquent student loans removed?  I'm in the process of trying to do that now with Nelnet and the Dept of  Education and I'm not having any luck.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.