Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question about DTI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

question about DTI

i am still in undergraduate school, and my husband is in the military. I have been fixing his credit and he is now in the high 600's and one 700. Anyhoo, my question is how is the student loan taken into monthly STI when I am not paying on it now. I don't make my first payment until I am done with school, and that is not for atleast 3-5 more years with grad school. I know if I am on the loan they will look into my debt- this is all I have, so I am worried this will bring our DTI up too high.  

Any insight on how they will look at the loans and determine future monthly payments? And as I am taking out loans every year, do they take future loans into consideration?

Any information will be much appreciated! Thanks to you all!  

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

Re: question about DTI

VA and FHA look at it the same they wont count if deferred for 12 months
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 7 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe as long as it will not be in repayment within 12 months of the loan...you'll be fine...it won't be calculated into your DTI...
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

the problem with student loans is that it is hard to get a letter specificaly stating that it is not in repayment for 12 months.  It is common knowledge that loans are not due while you are in school, but the loan companies will usually only send a letter that stated as long as you are in school the loans are in deferrment.  The school might provided a letter that states your expected graduation date.  That said, neither letter guarantees that the loans will not have a payment for a minimum of 12 months.  If you were t drop out of school, the loans would become payable.  There are hardship deferrments and such that can last 12 months or more but there is 2 problems with them

1.  If you are in school, your loans are in a rolling deferrment while you are in school.  Therefore you can not get this.

2.  Alot of times this paperwork must be donw via mail and signed paperwork.  By the time it all gets entered and you get the official letter, you may only have 10-11 months left of the deferrment.  Therefore it does not prove 12 months deferrment.  Some companies are better at doing these over the phone/fax/email but some still require written explanations that are signed and they want the original copies. 

So, if you can get written proof that the loan is deferred for 12 months (post close date) then you can ge them excluded frm DTI. 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

so, all my loans are through Sallie Mae, and they all state next payment date due may 2010. Would a letter from Sallie Mae stating this be efficient? I would assume so. We are planning on looking to close no later than feb 2009, so I should be in the clear. 

It is so confusing with stduent loans and mortgages, grrr.  

Thanks for the responses.

Message 4 of 7
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

If you can prove that payments start 12+ months from now.... they aren't included in FHA Loan debt ratios.

Conventional? Included!!!

Retired Lender
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

We will most liekly be going with a VA loan. How do they look at it?
Message 6 of 7
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

VA and FHA look at it the same they wont count if deferred for 12 months
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.