Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question about refinancing with PMI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

question about refinancing with PMI

So here is the situation:

The house we are looking at is going to be around 170k and we are going to put a down payment of much less than 20%, so I know we will have a PMI. However, the house is appraised at about 210k. Now, if we were to refinance the house based off the appraisal is my understandidng correct that so long as the refi amount is less than 80 percent of the appraised price there will be no PMI? Also how long must you wait to refi?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: question about refinancing with PMI

I'll leave the specific answer to the Real Estate professionals on here, but my understanding is that if you finance 80% or less of the current value of a property (lender accepted appraisal value) you won't pay PMI. I have to say I've never paid PMI on any of my mortgages (TH and Single famliy "house" plus townhouse/condo and actual condo vacation homes at the beach). In other words, it'a not just your down payment, its the mortgage "value" verses the appraised value that determines the 80% and PMI. 

Edit/Add: you can refi anytime after the 3 day "cooling off" period, however there will be a second set of closing costs to consider. If you are in a hot market such as DC Metro or parts of Calif, you could "gain" 20% in value quickly perhaps 1-2 years. 

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my state (TN) we can refi every 7 mos if we want, I don't know if that's a national thing...  purchased home 13 mar 2014, 1st refi sep 2016 new refi May 17 (1st refi for cash to do home improv..second for lower interest, no cash but I have 49k equity). It was explained to me the laws on "constant" refis had changed so folks couldn't avoid making payments (because just like when you purchase..you get to "skip" a months payment) 

Message 3 of 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

In my state (TN) we can refi every 7 mos if we want, I don't know if that's a national thing...  purchased home 13 mar 2014, 1st refi sep 2016 new refi May 17 (1st refi for cash to do home improv..second for lower interest, no cash but I have 49k equity). It was explained to me the laws on "constant" refis had changed so folks couldn't avoid making payments (because just like when you purchase..you get to "skip" a months payment) 

Interesting...I have never heard of any restrictions regarding the time between refi's.  I'm in Fl and have seen refi's done more quickly than that so it could be something to do with your state's statutes - who knows...

I will say  a couple of comments:

- usually the lender uses the purchase price during the first year after you close rather than a new appraised value. Sometimes that benefits you but most of the time it doesn't benefit the borrower (in a rising market)

- It costs money to refi every time you do it. Even if the lender "waives" their own fees, there are other fees that are not waived (title fees can be reduced, government gets their fees regardless)

- the "skip a month for your payment" is really a misnomer.  The lender collects the interest due from the date you sign the note to the end of the month (pre-paid interest). The next payment is skipped because the only time interest is pre-paid is on the closing date, the rest of the time the interest is paid in arrears. So, yes, you pay interest on your mortgage loan for each and every day the loan is outstanding. The skip a month portion is strictly to move from the collection of interest in advance on the day of closing to the normal time period. EG When your payment is due on the first of July, you are paying for Junes interest plus a very small portion for principal. I am  talking about the  lions share of mortgages. A few, like HELOCs, may have a different payment schedule that runs from the closing date for 30 days and doesn't require a payment due date of the first. Check your note. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.