Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question about the tax credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

question about the tax credit

I just closed on my house and b4 doing my taxes I was just wondering if I needed a certain form to claim the $8000 credit.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: question about the tax credit

IRS Form 5405 - Make sure you fill this form out and attach it to your 1040.  Congrats!!

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f5405.pdf

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I used turbo tax online with direct deposit and already got the refund for 2008. Question is .....I'm closing on my house this week and was wondering if I need to wait untill next year to claim this tax credit or can I go back and claim it for 2008?

Thanks

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

IRS Form 5405 - Make sure you fill this form out and attach it to your 1040.  Congrats!!

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f5405.pdf

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanx

Message 4 of 9
crablegs
Established Member

You could file ammended tax paperwork or claim it next year.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could file ammended tax paperwork or claim it next year.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do u do that? I called H&R BLOCK and was told I couldn't file for the $8000 til next year. The way this economy is at the moment I rather have it now.

Message 6 of 9
ralbusta
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You could file amended tax paperwork or claim it next year.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do u do that? I called H&R BLOCK and was told I couldn't file for the $8000 till next year. The way this economy is at the moment I rather have it now.

You obviously talked to someone at h&r who didn't know what they are talking about. You just need to file an amended return with the form that was mentioned above.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can amend your 2008 returns using the FTHB tax credit from 2009 if you wish to do so. You CAN NOT efile amending with a First time home buyers tax credit of 7500k or higher. You'll have to mail the forms to the IRS. You CAN claim it on either 2008 or 2009 tax year(one or the other)....that would be your choice.
Message 8 of 9
ronq
Regular Contributor

Richard is right you can do it this year or next. Knowing your MAGI for 2008 is nice if you are at or above 75k.
EX. 780 TU 794.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.