Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Account in Dispute" - Added Back

tag
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

"Account in Dispute" - Added Back

I know this is an ongoing topic of conversation so I don't want to rehash the information already provided in many other posts, but I have a more specific question about this topic.

I have been removing these comments from all 3 of the CRAs (by calling the CRAs directly) almost every single month since June 2011, but they keep getting added back. It seems to be unpredictable, but almost every month a few of my accounts will end up with these dispute comments again. Has anyone else experienced the disputes continuously being added back to your CRs? Has anyone found a solution for finally getting them permanantly removed? I've heard people discuss calling the creditors directly to request removal of the dispute comments, but that approach scares me this close to closing (we will probably close on our new build in late January).

HELP!

Mid-2010 Starting Scores: FAKO EQ 476 FAKO EX 506 FICO TU98 575
July 2017 Current Scores: Approx 710 (waiting for official updates)
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: "Account in Dispute" - Added Back

I don't know the fix, but aside from the initial dispute and any direct CRA follow-up, were any letters like DVs, PFDs, GWs, etc., sent to the OCs/CAs in question? Curious.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

After spending over 4 hours on the phone with all the 3 CRA's about removing dispute comments, I figured out that they only hold your credit file and offer the "total picture" (your credit report) to you as the consumer as well as anyone that you have pull your credit file (among other things).  With that said, since they are for all intents and purposes the "middle man" between you and your account holders, they are not the ones actually reporting your credit information, they are simply regurgitating what the original creditors, collection agencies, and any other agency that has an effect on you credit file.  Another way of putting it is that the 3 credit bureaus  simply collect all the information together into a credit file that provides an overall picture of what you as the consumer have for credit information so that if you need to obtain future credit, your potential lender(s) know how you've managed your credit in the past.

I know that was long-winded but it doesn't get stated enough in this forum.  Now, my point to all that was to let you in on a little secret, that shouldn't be a secret at all...  The original creditors are the one's submitting the dispute comments as well as any other pertenant information on the account.  Therefore, it is more expuditious for the consumer to contact them directly to have them remove dispute comments.  Let me give you the two scenarios:

Scenario 1 (remove dispute thru CRA's):

1. Consumer see's an account with a dispute comment and decides to have it removed (for various reasons, my recent reasoning was due to my mortgage lender not allowing me to close without disputes removed entirely).

2. Consumer contacts the big 3 CRA's to have the dispute comment(s) removed.

3. The big 3 CRA's have to issue a NEW dispute to remove the original dispute.  (the word dispute should be changed to investigation and I say that because this second "dispute" is really the CRA's asking the original creditor(s) to varify the info and informing them that the account is under investigation).  Under law the CRA's have to resolve the NEW dispute within 30 days and are under no obligation to due so sooner than those 30 days.  ***The reason they are under the 30 day window is because they are submitting a new dispute to the original creditor and therefore it is out of their hands until they receive a response from the original creditor.***

4. Several things can happen at this stage in the process.  Either the original creditor replies with "the consumer no longer disputes the account" and the CRA removes it OR the original creditor doesn't reply and the CRA has to remove the comment or the account entirely (I'm not sure which).  In most cases the original credit needs the consumer to contact them directly to inform them that the consumer is in fact no longer disputing the account.

Scenario 2 (contact OC directly):

1. Consumer see's an account with a dispute comment and decides to have it removed (for various reasons, my recent reasoning was due to my mortgage lender not allowing me to close without disputes removed entirely).

2. Consumer contacts the OC to inform them that they no longer dispute the account and to no longer report the dispute comment(s) to the 3 CRA's.

3.  The OC updates their files and reports to the CRA's the account info without the dispute comment(s).

It is wise to contact the Original Creditor up front because they are issuing the account information to the big 3.  The big 3 are just pulling all your credit info together from your accounts and putting it into your credit file.

I've had a dispute removed within 3 days by contacting the original creditor directly and then confirming with the big 3 CRA's that the account information was updated, therefore removing the dispute comment.

I may be WAAAAY off base and inaccurate so YMMV but this is the information I've gathered in dealing with MY dispute comments.

******%%%%^^^^^^^&&&&&  BE CAREFUL WITH COLLECTIONS ACCOUNTS!!!  You may not want to contact them directly, EVER!  &&&&&^^^^^^^%%%%******

Message 3 of 4
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

llecs - To answer your question, no, nothing at all was sent to any of my creditors and/or the CRAs over the last few months. I stopped the "rebuilding" process (sending GWs, etc) about 6 months ago so I can't figure out why these darn disputes keep coming back every month!

heregoesnothing - So you have success removing the dispute comments by just calling the creditors directly and asking them to remove the dispute comments from their files? What # did you call them at? The one listed on the CRs or some other customer service #? Did you say anything special or just ask them to remove the dispute status? Did they agree with no issues?

Mid-2010 Starting Scores: FAKO EQ 476 FAKO EX 506 FICO TU98 575
July 2017 Current Scores: Approx 710 (waiting for official updates)
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.