Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

raising my mortgage score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

raising my mortgage score

Hi!  I am new to the forum.

I collected on federal student loans for 12 yrs you think I would have learned something!    Managing the scores to get the best rate or a loan is a whole different ball game.

We are looking to move.  I decided to get pre qualified so I would kow what price range I could look in.  We have one of the nicest homes in our very large neighborhood right now,  We  did a jumbo construction to perm loan 19 yrs ago.  We l are expected to sell it for about 125k more than what we paid for it.  We also own a rental property that was our home.  We kept it as rental when we moved to our house.  We paid it off last year.  Both are now on the market.  We stand to walk away with 400 to 450k.

We want to move from Ft Mill SC to Bluffton SC which is a suburb of Hilton Head.  We cant get a stripped down track home 1k ft smaller than our all brick 2 story loaded home.

We need to be in the 500's.  Of course my eye see the 7 to 800k homes.  Because they match the quality we currently have.

I was denied a loan.  Fico 8 scores are in the mid 600s. Fico 4 mid is 585.   2011 my firm put me on long term disability.  Filled for SS and am recieving that. 

2012 to 2014 numerous hospitalizations with extensive testing and transfers to different hospitals.  ER visits are paid to the hospital but there are always outside bills that creep up.  You get the notes saying pending or filled.  Then you loose track of status.  I was very ill.  I have fluid on the brain and my BP stays in the 210 to 230 range and bottom in the 120s.  On good days.  So I know it was my fault and I was not on top of things and ended up in collections on med bills.  Tere are many days though that I struggle to even walk or talk.  8 minor strokes.

Ive paid all the med bills. I paid the tax liens, that were caused because the Hewitt Jackson did not claim the SS income or my private policy Disability income. 

I gave them the docs they said I did not pay taxes on it since I had already paid on it.

So we have both homes on market expect to sell both very soon. And I cant quailify for a loan.  Since we are moving out of town, my husbandcan not be on the loan because he is not transfering.  He does not make enough on his own to carry a loan. 

I have a 17% usage of debt on cards. 

I was told to not pay them off because then I do not have anything to show I can manage spending.

Own all the cars.

have had upto 4 mortgages at one time over the last 20 yrs.

2 of them jumbo.

Property in 4 states.

Im devistated that I can not get a home for my family!

What do I do to get the score up?

Ive been told I willloose ground with no mortgages no cards no auto. 

Thats my husbands problem. We pay cash and he has nothing to show he is not a risk.  BEing Debt free is not helpful.

Passive income 13 to 17k monthly.

And going to be homeless.

Advice please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: raising my mortgage score

1) Pay no attention to anyone who said carry balances: you want a small reported balance on one credit card - that's optimal for anyone.  Read as $20 or whatever on a single credit card, everything else zero.  You're not in a bad place now at 17% but you can gain some points and every point counts if you aren't north of 740/760 already.

2) You might get a huge win regarding the tax liens come 7/1; maybe, it depends how they were filed in terms of quality of data but a ton of consumers will get liens excluded because of bad or unreported data, and you may get a windfall there.  Also if those are Federal tax liens, and they are paid, file these forms: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f12277.pdf

3) Medical collections and what not, Google "HIPAA method" and see if privacy laws might help.

4) Post the negatives over in the Rebuilding forum, there's a lot of people there with experience with literally thousands of institutions in aggregate, and maybe someone has dealt with your particular ones and can recommend a strategy for dealing with them.

5) EQ/TU don't care whether your cars/mortgages/loans are open or closed when it comes to mortgage UW, EX does care a little bit but it's simple to sort:

Method:
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Adding-an-installment-loan-the-Share-Secu...

Anyway that's how I would approach it; also there are some non-traditional qualification routes that you can chase such as an asset based mortgage underwriting, the APR will be higher but with 400K+ in terms of downpayment and call it 15K in monthly income, you have the ability to play let's make a deal and potentially ignore the credit score UW portion of it though you will need a specialized lender / loan program.

Relax though, you're not going to be homeless with those stats and you can possibly address some things to allow you to walk through the front door too; hope ain't lost yet.

HTH

        
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for your help.    I just figured out how to find my post and how to read a respone.  Now I have to find out how to post!  LOL.

Ill do all the steps you recommend.

One more question if you are up for it since I have not figued out how to post a new question.

mortgage fico comes out on the 27th of the this month.

ive checked my fico notices.   Looks like the majority of points are gained from the last few days of a month to the 12th of next month.

If I wait to the 12th of July to see if if my fico 4 comes up, when pulled by a potential lender, will that help?

So we are selling 2 homes.

The first is the rental and is paid off.  Should have 200k from that.  Waiting on an offer.

We have 231k in reporting mortgage.

197 for or home.

34 on the second mortgage that was med bills 15 yrs ago.

We have never missed a payment.

So house one for sale, lets say it sells this week,  and our home is not up yet.

But should be within 10 days.

We are preparing it to sell quick.

All the "right touches to attack a buyer and priced right.

So I could have both go to closing in ne month.

Thats the goal.  We need to be in a home to get our senior enrolled for school mid August.

But lets say only one sells.

At that time do I pay off the second mortgage and the 2 credit card accounts with the 17% usage?

or do I wait to pay them off when our home sells?

Going to the Federal credit union who holds one of the balances and see if they will increase the balance so I have better utilization, and have the money for the account in the checking account so they have 0 risk.

Hoping that will boost me.

We have talked to the loan officers in the communities we want to purchase in and they say I have to have 620. Regardless we would put down 400K on a 500k home with no other debt and 13 to 18k month income.

Or that Ive carried 1 to 5 mortgages at one time for 5+ yrs no lates within last 10 yrs, paid one off, pay extra each month on all .  never had mortgage insurance,.  They still will not give me a loan in my name unless its 620.  

Which I do not see happening before August.

Im going to go to our bank and ask for a secured loan to use for improvements on this house and keep utilization at 7%.

Ive read in posts that may give me 20 to 30 point boost.

Thank you again!

Just so concerned, that I have thought I had been doing well and was not.  That we think we should be able to take care of our families not lavishly but be able to provide a home in a good neighborhood and find out I may not even get approved to rent!

If I could talk to Prsident Trump, Id suggest that we drop a yr of the repeat of History lessons and requie a yr of credit building as a class with simulators as projects and final grade on how they managed and improved the financial challenge they were given. Unique senarios  work on teams. One student card challenges, another student loans and car loans, another collections, etc.  % of grade working as a team to review and find answers to increase.   Take the year to increase score.  Gade would be based on increases and taking part in discussions.  

live situations would be the most valuable lesson a student could learn.

Who cares if you know the battles of the south and north each yr.  Your real battle is real life and I can tell you from collecting on student loans that we need to educate our students on the pitfalls.  

Message 3 of 7
wmweeza
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you so much for your help.    I just figured out how to find my post and how to read a respone.  Now I have to find out how to post!  LOL.

Ill do all the steps you recommend.

One more question if you are up for it since I have not figued out how to post a new question.

mortgage fico comes out on the 27th of the this month.

ive checked my fico notices.   Looks like the majority of points are gained from the last few days of a month to the 12th of next month.

If I wait to the 12th of July to see if if my fico 4 comes up, when pulled by a potential lender, will that help?

So we are selling 2 homes.

The first is the rental and is paid off.  Should have 200k from that.  Waiting on an offer.

We have 231k in reporting mortgage.

197 for or home.

34 on the second mortgage that was med bills 15 yrs ago.

We have never missed a payment.

So house one for sale, lets say it sells this week,  and our home is not up yet.

But should be within 10 days.

We are preparing it to sell quick.

All the "right touches to attack a buyer and priced right.

So I could have both go to closing in ne month.

Thats the goal.  We need to be in a home to get our senior enrolled for school mid August.

But lets say only one sells.

At that time do I pay off the second mortgage and the 2 credit card accounts with the 17% usage?

or do I wait to pay them off when our home sells?

Going to the Federal credit union who holds one of the balances and see if they will increase the balance so I have better utilization, and have the money for the account in the checking account so they have 0 risk.

Hoping that will boost me.

We have talked to the loan officers in the communities we want to purchase in and they say I have to have 620. Regardless we would put down 400K on a 500k home with no other debt and 13 to 18k month income.

Or that Ive carried 1 to 5 mortgages at one time for 5+ yrs no lates within last 10 yrs, paid one off, pay extra each month on all .  never had mortgage insurance,.  They still will not give me a loan in my name unless its 620.  

Which I do not see happening before August.

Im going to go to our bank and ask for a secured loan to use for improvements on this house and keep utilization at 7%.

Ive read in posts that may give me 20 to 30 point boost.

Thank you again!

Just so concerned, that I have thought I had been doing well and was not.  That we think we should be able to take care of our families not lavishly but be able to provide a home in a good neighborhood and find out I may not even get approved to rent!

If I could talk to Prsident Trump, Id suggest that we drop a yr of the repeat of History lessons and requie a yr of credit building as a class with simulators as projects and final grade on how they managed and improved the financial challenge they were given. Unique senarios  work on teams. One student card challenges, another student loans and car loans, another collections, etc.  % of grade working as a team to review and find answers to increase.   Take the year to increase score.  Gade would be based on increases and taking part in discussions.  

live situations would be the most valuable lesson a student could learn.

Who cares if you know the battles of the south and north each yr.  Your real battle is real life and I can tell you from collecting on student loans that we need to educate our students on the pitfalls.  

I highly doubt he cares. He borrows money for cheap, buys properties and makes businesses. If they fail he writes them off in his taxes and does it all over again. Fiscal policy is not his strong suit.

I think in your case your situation will be vastly improved by having sales proceeds from your other properties. Good luck and I hope it all works out!

Last App 10/14. FICO's: AMEX Ex 846, BarclayTU08 815.FAKOs:CreditKarma 775,CS score 771.BofA 5400,Target $5000,Barnes $8500,Amex $22k
Message 4 of 7
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

If you're putting $400 down and only requesting a loan of $100, have you considered FHA?

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

We will get 200K from the rental we own and are selling.   Our home will sell for 450ish.  We built it 19 yrs ago and have a 5% interest rate.   Our payoff is in the 190s and we have a second mortgage we owe about 34K on that we have been paying on for 15 yrs. ( med bills, we have a child with epilepsey and he was hospitalized several times before they stablized his seizures as best they could.  )  

We will try to sell it ourselves so we are not giving up 20K to a realtor.  So we should have 400K to put down on a house,.   We will move to Bluffton/Okatie area in a gated community so that I can take my husbands parents and that they are safe to mve around the community in a golf cart.  (82 and 90)

Our 450K home is 3800 ft all brick and resembles a Southern GA plantation house.  Upgrades everywhere.

In Bluffton 400k will by us a 2600 track home on quater lot. We have almost an acre and the best lot of any golf course around. 

So to get anywhere near my current home I have to go to 750 to 900K.

Oneolder neighborhood i can get a 2600 nice home that I can redo for 400K.   So I need to put down 300k and keep back 100k for thithing, improvements, taxes on sale of rental.  so that would be 70% down.  No mortgage insurance.  But even at 70 to 80% down unless i get a 620 mortgage score I cant get a loan.   ( even with a 13 to 17 k month passive income) .  

Cant find a rental there because all the homes in the gated communites have assoc fees of 7 to 20k a yr . I have to get my child in school in Aug to repeat 12th grade ( epilepsey and learn challenges) and take care of my inlaws.  Everything for right reason carried 4 to 5 mortages at a time for yrs and Im a risk.   

Super depressed over this. Ive never not provided for my family and I will fail at this point.  Give up an incredible home to care for others and not even sure Ill qualify for an apartment to rent.

Message 6 of 7
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

I'm sorry, I'm very confused by your post. What sales price are you looking at? 750-900, 400, 500?

If you're looking at a $400 k house with $300 down, have you considered FHA?

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.