Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

?? re: tax credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: ?? re: tax credit

I've been scouring the definition of "principal residence" myself. We owned a home that was foreclosed on in '08. We filed BK7 and started renting elsewhere 11/05. The house wasn't sold at sheriff sale until 11/07.

I called the IRS hotline to ask if we would qualify, since it appears you are allowed to own property, just not a "principal residence." I explained our situation and was told we wouldn't qualify. Knowing that the IRS hotlines are not always reliable, I continued to research. Everything I read says that we should qualify.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p523/ar02.html#d0e500

We filed our taxes from the rental address for '06-'08. That's been the address for our driver licenses and car registration.

They spell out:

Example 2.

You own a house, but you live in another house that you rent. The rented house is your main home.

So, I guess we may need to talk to an accountant also, but it sure seems like the hotline guy was wrong on this one.

Re changes to the tax credit program:

I wonder if they double the credit for married couples if both people will have to be on the mortgage? We were planning to have it in just my husband's name.

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm beginning to think they've deliberatly written loopholes into these things in order to limit their payout. Burns me that the taxpayers are paying upwards of a trillion dollars to bail out companies that in turn are using that money to give themselves bonuses while we, at this point anyway, have to pay back whatever little stimulus they decide to give us. Something's just not right with this picture.

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey deemac, Smiley Happy

You're right. I'd talk to an accountant.

As I understand it, your primary residence

is one that you own AND where you reside.

If you're renting from someone else, you do

reside in their home but you don't own it.

Therefore, it's not your primary residence.

As far as the foreclosure is concerned, the

3yr clock to qualify for your next "first time

home buyers" opportunity doesn't start until

you are no longer responsible for the debt.

This date is called your "date of satisfaction"

Based on the date of your sheriff's sale, your

next opportunity to qualify as a first time

homebuyer won't begin until November 2010,

or about 22 months from now.

And regarding any possible changes to the

tax credit program: you can rest assured that

if the tax credit is increased to $15,000 for

married couples then both people will have to

be on the mortgage. If you just want your

husband to be on the mortgage, then he would

use his 7.5k portion and you'd keep your share

in reserve.

Like I said, lots of things are on the table right now

and this conversation is strictly conjecture. But we'll

have to wait and see how things shake out.

CanDo

"The right attitude is everything"

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't believe the foreclosure date has anything to do with qualifying as a first time homebuyer. I'm aware of all the pertinent dates and rules with regard to qualifying for a mortgage. We really got shafted ... our discharge on a simple ch 7 took nearly 18 months because the trustees office screwed up, our atty didn't follow up, and we didn't know any better. (It sat in a file because they thought it had been sent to the court, but it hadn't.)

Worse, since we're finally at the 2 years post discharge, it took over two years for the bank to complete the foreclosure.

However, it would appear that we will qualify for a USDA mortgage, with steady income for 2½ years and a 675 middle FICO score. The area we're in qualifies and we're within the income limits for a USDA guaranteed mtg.

The IRS website flat out says if you own a home but live in one you rent, the rental home is your primary residence. It also gives other tests such as the address you use for filing taxes (check) the address on your driver license (check) and other things with regard to location that aren't really applicable since our former and current homes are in the same neighborhood.

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the clarification, deemac. Smiley Happy

You're right about the 3yr clock having nothing to do

with being first time homebuyer-qualified. I was thinking

about something else. Sorry about that...Smiley Surprised

And you're also right about a USDA Guaranteed Loan in

regards to a BK. Regardless of whether the BK was

a discharged 7 or 13, there's no waiting period as long

as your middle FICO is 620 or higher.....which means you. Smiley Happy

More specifically, if your BK7 or BK13 were discharged today,

you could go out and apply for a USDA Guaranteed Loan tomorrow.

It's that quick and clean.

CanDo

Message Edited by CanDoAttitude on 01-31-2009 12:15 PM
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

And regarding any possible changes to the

tax credit program: you can rest assured that

if the tax credit is increased to $15,000 for

married couples then both people will have to

be on the mortgage. If you just want your

husband to be on the mortgage, then he would

use his 7.5k portion and you'd keep your share

in reserve.

Well, I'm not sure about that because, given the current rules, if either spouse owns a home neither qualify for the credit. So it might be done jointly the same way if they increase it. I had no earned income last year, but still received the full tax stimulus payment as a married couple filing jointly.

Regarding the definition of "principle residence" take a look at the IRS link I posted above and see if you read it the same way I do...

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went to the IRS link you posted. I read it the same

way you do.

Regarding the credit, it all depends how the rules are written.

If it's a flat 7.5k for single/head of household and 

15k married household, what you say is right.

But if the credit is determined on a per person basis,

that would give married couples more flexibility.

In situations where only 1 person qualifies for the

mortgage, it would be a shame to penalize the 

non-qualifying spouse in the event the marriage dissolves.

Conversely, it's much more fair to give a 15k tax credit

to both married members as long as they qualify jointly

for the mortgage. Twice the "risk" yields twice the reward.

But if only 1 person qualifies, they should get half the credit (7.5k). 

But like you said, we'll have to wait and see how

things play out and how the final version is written.

CanDo

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

oops - just realize I wrote the foreclosure started in '08. It was actually sold 11/07 and was filed in '05. But doesn't matter for FHA; we're SOL (and I don't mean statute of limitations Smiley Wink )

It'll be interesting to see what comes out of congress. Honestly, a $15k tax credit sounds like an astonishing number - I can't believe they'd do that, but I'd be happy to take it if it came my way. And if it sounds like it might go that way, I'd better start thinking about whether it makes sense for me to be on the mortgage. I've got about $80 in monthly debt that would hurt our back-end ratio. They're covered by money I make selling stuff on eBay, but it's never been enough income that we've documented it so that's why we were going to put it on him alone (not sure I want to try selling that to a government agency!) My scores should be okay - hurt a little by high util as we focused on reducing his, but while I've got the same BK and paid tax liens, the foreclosure was in his name only and there aren't any baddies since we filed.

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got my question answered. I went to H&R tonight to have my taxes done. Found out I do qualify (guarantee of 5k if IRS kicks it back).

I thought long and hard about whether or not to take the credit because I'd be getting a refund anyway and it came down to being able to pay off a few interest charging accounts vs paying off almost everything with the exception of house, car & student loan. I decided it's probably a very rare opportunity to get an interest free loan.
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.