cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

refi or new mortgage for lesser value. Contingent on sale of current home?

tag
Teasha
Regular Contributor

refi or new mortgage for lesser value. Contingent on sale of current home?

I'm wanting to sell my current home purchased for 173k and aquire a new mortgage for a less expensive home, 130k The house I have has atleast 20k in equity and is a fha with a 3.25% rate. I'm waiting on a CMA to establish an accurate price for selling my current home. I have spoken briefly with mortgage brokers on a refi but my dti is too high. Won't have a lot to put down on new mortgage due to paying down debt and splitting assets with ex.

How common is a mortgage approval if it were contingent on the sale of the current home? Should I bother with looking for a new property before a pre-approval? I could rent the house out, but how long do I need to show income from property before I could reflect this in a pre-approval? I know if I take the hit I have 45 days to shop but I'm not sure if I'm anywhere close to ready to move in that time frame.

I need guidance on what steps I need to take.  Any advise is very welcome

Starting Score: 0 No score until August 2011
Current Score: 11/17/22 EQ Fico 821, 4/28/22 TU Fico 828, 4/28/22 EX fico 811
Goal Score: 800
My wallet: Capital 1 Venture $13,000 | Amex BCP $22,000 | Amex BSE $8200 | Discover it $23,500 | Discover $7, 000 | Lowe's $15,000 | DCU $2,000 | CITI TYP $14,000 | CITI Simplicity $8,100 | Amazon Chase $14,400 | DCU Visa $2000 | Barclay's $4,550
Back in the garden!
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: refi or new mortgage for lesser value. Contingent on sale of current home?

It is very common for seller's to sell their home before purchasing another.

You said you tried for a refi and couldn't get it due to DTI - so the best approach, according to your own post, is to sell your home first. You don't have to close it, but get it under contract and then get your pre-approval to purchase the new lower priced home that fits your budget. Are there homes available in the $130k range in your area?

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.