Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

student loans/ bankruptcy/credit reporting and getting a mortgage

tag
granny031350
Established Contributor

student loans/ bankruptcy/credit reporting and getting a mortgage

I hope I can explain this so it is clear.  I have been rebuilding my credit while in my chapter 13 bankruptcy filed in August of 2005.  It on track for discharge in December of 2008.  So next Spring, I was planning to apply for an MSHDA (Michigan) and/or FHA backed mortgage to build a modest home (145,000)

Today I pull my my True Credit report and the Department of Education has changed my student loan reporting to show as Derogatory, Included in Wage Earner Plan.  At this point, the balance on the loans is still showing although TransUnion has deleted all payment and balances etc.  I disputed with Experian and Equifax to also change to zero balance.

Now, the lates were in 2002/2003 and because of this change from deferred to derogatory, not only did it tank my scores currently but it also means that they will come off my report in Oct of 2009 and in June of 2010.

How would a mortgage lender look at this information.  This means I will have 6 total accounts as IIB on my credit report IF I apply next Spring.

I am hoping I can get my scores to recover prior to this as MSHDA requires a 620 score.  (was at 650 Smiley Sad

So to the mortgage experts, should I wait until 2010 to apply or should I try to keep it going for next spring?

I am so bummed right now

(Have 11 positive tradelines since 2005)
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: student loans/ bankruptcy/credit reporting and getting a mortgage

The way your Dept of Edu loan reports wouldn't hinder your chances with FHA since the lates report prior to you filing Ch 13... assuming that you have no new negative marks since the Ch 13 BK filing and all payments on the Ch 13 repayment plan have been made on time.  Not sure how it would affect MSHDA though, since it's a pretty specific question you'll probably need to contact a loan officer at one of the MSDHA participating lenders in order to get your answer on that.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 4
granny031350
Established Contributor

that is good to know, thanks.  I have no lates or any derogatory information since my bk filing in 2005 and my trustee payments are current and made on time.  In fact, I send in my last payment in October of this year, with discharge scheduled for December 2008. 

I was so bummed  but now I feel better!
Message 3 of 4
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

You are welcome, I think you'll be fine for either program.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.