Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

taxes on new construction?

tag
teton
Regular Contributor

taxes on new construction?

Does anyone know how property taxes work with new construction? I know they are lower at the beginning, but how soon do they jump up to their normal level? When you are applying for a mortgage, how do they calculate the taxes in order to determine if you can afford your monthly payment? Thanks.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

Re: taxes on new construction?

The taxes for approval purposes are based on what they will be once adjusted.

The taxes charged at close are based on the land tax value.

Once recorded they are readjusted and you get a nice bill for the difference.

That supplemental tax bill needs to be planned for

good luck

Brian

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 2 of 6
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Typically, you will be able to get through that first tax year, with the lower taxes based on the land alone. At least, that's how it works in my neck of the woods. Have three new construction properties (two are income properties). The latest one has a tax bill of $536, but the bill will go over $4,000 for the next tax year.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 6
teton
Regular Contributor

Want to make sure I am understanding this. Using your example of $536 in taxes for the first year based on the land value: Once taxes adjust to $4k, do I have to pay the difference for the first year (4000 - 536) in addition to the $4k for the second year? Thanks.
Message 4 of 6
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@teton wrote:
Want to make sure I am understanding this. Using your example of $536 in taxes for the first year based on the land value: Once taxes adjust to $4k, do I have to pay the difference for the first year (4000 - 536) in addition to the $4k for the second year? Thanks.

Most likely no - but you need to contact your county's tax treasurer to get concrete answers since this question could get a different answer depending on where you are buying.

Here in California, the property taxes at closing are the current property taxes the previous owner was paying.  Then within a few months, you get a supplemental tax bill which is the difference between what the previous owner was paying, and what the property taxes should've been assessed at once you purchased the home.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 5 of 6
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

teton wrote:
In my case, no. The property was a vacant lot, where the developer is developing a formerly decaying neighborhood with new construction SF homes (around 150,000-225,000).

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.